Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Overnight PBC Butts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overnight PBC Butts

Got home late on the 4th and wanted to try an overnight cook on the PBC. I had a 2-pack of bone in butts from Sams Club dry brining all day and when I got home I rubbed them up with Memphis Dust (mine has extra hots added) and got them into the barrel at 2AM.

I don't preheat my PBC, instead I just dump my 40 hot coals, add the meat and rebar, and close the lid. I had a chunk of apple in there, maybe 6x3 just slightly buried.

I slept for 9 hours and checked my temps at 11AM, a steady 217. I don't wrap at all, and because I was so tired I didn't bother hanging the meat. This cook was done entirely on the grate.

I cracked the lid maybe 1-2 millimeters and heated the PBC up to 250 and closed the lid. It eventually settled back to 225-230. I did this maybe twice more to maintain a lovely low heat.

I got over 16.5 hours out of one load of charcoal on this cook, and could have kept going. I had my basket just a bit overfill. I had a party to get to and some pulling to do.

I was very impressed with this cook, and while my bark and outer edges were a bit dry, the inside was super steamy and pulled veeeeeery easily. I went sauce less, but that would have solved any dryness.

I am at sea level, here are some pics.
    Attached Files

Nice cook, easy peezy lemon squeezy

Comment

Gotta love that bark. Nice job!!!!!!

I have three briskets and a small pork butt to cook Thursday.

Comment

Nice writeup, Cidergregg , and some beautiful-looking pulled pork. One of these days I'm going to do as you did and just let the PBC do its own thing with a PB. BruceB did the same thing this past weekend. PBs are pretty forgiving, and it would be nice not to have to watch the pit temps all though a long cook...although all those trips to the deck to fiddle with the lid and rebars sure helps to rack up my Fitbit step total!

Kathryn

Comment

• Cidergregg
          Cidergregg commented
          Editing a comment
          The main reason I was able to sleep is because I've tuned my PBC way down and can now rely on a pretty steady temp hovering around 220. It would be great to have the tech to graph my overnight temperatures though. I didn't think one load of coal would last me anywhere near long enough!

Cool, now for an odd question, are you left-handed?

Comment

The iGrill2 might be something for you to look at if you want to graph your temps. I use one probe for the cooker temp and on for the meat...it shows two graphs with the time and temp on your phone.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
            Cool, now for an odd question, are you left-handed?
            I am a righty and very curious as to where the question arose.

I am able to use my left hand as well though, I am semi-ambidextrous.

Comment

• _John_
              _John_ commented
              Editing a comment
              The opening on your intake is the "wrong" way, someone right handed wouldn't normally open it that way in my experience

• _John_
              _John_ commented
              Editing a comment
              For some reason my brain notices things that are out of place, it really only helped me by making me the first guy down a path in the Marines, and I have gotten literally hundreds of 4 leaf clovers. My kids like them as I can usually find 3-4 for them and their friends while waiting for the bus to show.
              Stupid human tricks.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here