Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tri tip suggestions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tri tip suggestions.

I'm going for my 2nd cook. I have a 2 1/2 lb grass fed tri tip. It is probably leaner than grain fed and I'm wondering how to prepare it (rub etc.) and at what the target cooker temp should be (if that even matters?). My rib cook temps averaged 285. I will probably pull it @ 125 internal temp and reverse sear it on my Weber to 135. All help is appreciated. Then I'd like to throw a couple of chicken halves on after with the lid cracked to raise the temps into the 350 range.

I dry brine 24 hours in advance and use the BBBR after oiling. I cook at 225 until the IT hits 115 then blast it on my Weber with the coal grate raised to within 2 inches of the food grate. I turn every 30-45 seconds until the IT hits 130-135. Look at the "show us what you are cooking" thread for pics

Comment

I made a trip to Walmart this morning a picked up a Lodge cast iron griddle. Would medium heat be enough on my Weber Genesis Silver to reverse sear the tri tip? I made a batch of the BBBR rub and am going to pull @ 120 internal. It is grass fed, so will this make a difference when searing? I left the fat cap on but it doesn't have a lot of marbling.

Comment

Originally posted by Munch View Post
        I made a trip to Walmart this morning a picked up a Lodge cast iron griddle. Would medium heat be enough on my Weber Genesis Silver to reverse sear the tri tip? I made a batch of the BBBR rub and am going to pull @ 120 internal. It is grass fed, so will this make a difference when searing? I left the fat cap on but it doesn't have a lot of marbling.

Nope. Crank it all the way up with the lid closed.

Comment

Tri-tip was amazing....
          Attached Files

Comment

great job... so how did you end up searing it?

Also... a little late for this, but I heard one time that grass fed generally cooks a little faster... did you notice that at all?

Comment

• Munch
              Munch commented
              Editing a comment
              It was on for 48 minutes at 275 until 115 internal. Lodge cast iron in my Weber rocket hot for about 10-12 minutes until 135, then on the plate and cut within 5 minutes. It definitely is a poor man's prime rib. I wish I had made a nice horseradish sauce. However, the BBBR provided plenty of flavor. Ground my own pepper (Magnum mill) to course, but may pulse pepper corns in a coffee grinder so it will be more course next time.
              Last edited by Munch; July 6, 2015, 12:23 PM.

I love reverse-searing on my cast iron griddle, heated up as hot as I can get it on my gasser. Don't you love the nice even Maillard, Munch , that you got with that griddle? Looks like you had some good eats there.

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here