Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef Back Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef Back Ribs

I just tried my hand at 2 (7 bones each) slabs of beef back ribs. I kept it simple, PBC beef and game rub and about 2 hours on the PBC. the Ribs went over desired temp (got distracted) they got up to 214. This is very first attempt at Beef ribs. They seemed like they needed more time, THe PCB was running hot the whole cook (340 -360). I am at sea level (~90 feet). This was only my 4th cook. Will the temps drop in the future or do I need to dial in the cooker some how? It is a very windy day, but I positioned the intake opposite the wind direction. I was disappointed with the results and want to do better.

No picks of this cook, not worthy of the bytes.

Thanks for any advice.

I can’t help you with controlling the PBC temps, don’t have one, but the cooking temps were way too high and the ribs weren’t cooked nearly long enough. I just did some 3 bone plate ribs on my WSM and I cooked them around 7 hours at 250-275. Most of the time my temps were around 250. That’s a tough cut of meat that needs lower temps and longer cook time. Don’t worry, we’ve all been there. There’s a lot of PBC owners here who I’m sure can help you more than me. I’d expect several to help you out with controlling the temps.
    Last edited by Panhead John; November 8, 2020, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Have you read fzxdoc ‘s "light my fire" post on lighting the PBC? I’d start there

Comment

The PBC commonly runs 250-275 after it has been seasoned. After using it a dozen times or so grease build up seals the cooker and that helps temperatures stay more consistent. As indicated above @Fxcdoc has two great thread on the PBC, one on how to light it for different cooks and another thread on cooking times and temperatures for different meats. I would start there. And if you reach out to her she is very generous with advice. The PBC is a great smoker. Have fun!

Comment

Could just be the meat you had. Also, wondering that if by cooking that hot and fast if the connective tissue didn’t get an opportunity to really break down.

My two pennies. Will see what others think. Looking forward to learning something.

Comment

As mentioned above check out the PBC section under channels. Also here is some good info from another PBC owner. https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...3314-a-year-in

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. I did start with the 10-10-10 method of lighting the PBC. I have never cooked with charcoal before have been a griller mostly. (Natural gas). I will get another set of ribs when I see them again. My local store does not always carry them. We learn best by our mistakes. I just need to figure out how to get the temps lower in my PBS, it has been hot for all my cooks. We will see what meat looks good this week and I will try again on the weekend.

Keith

Comment

• HawkerXP
                HawkerXP commented
                Editing a comment
                New PBCs leak which drives up the temp. Did you try some foil around the rebar holes? I occasionally need to put a couple of bricks on mine to help seal the lid. Do some chicken, they like it hot and this will help build up some insulation. Or a pork butt, they handle heat as well. Good luck!

Whenever I read that a PBC is running that hot, it almost always is due to leaks somewhere around the rim of the lid. This often occurs with new PBCs that don't yet have enough grease/gunk buildup on the rim area of the barrel and lid.

A lid leak can be hard to see, especially if it is occurring in the area just above the rebar holes. If you hold a square of cardboard above the rebar holes you may see leaks in the rim in that area more easily.

Even the smallest leak can easily drive the PBC's temperatures up as high as you are seeing them.

There are a few ways to get rid of the lid leak:
              1. Spray the inside rim edge of the lid with cooking spray to encourage a buildup and a better seal.
              2. Crimp a short strip of heavy duty aluminum foil around the area where you see a leak. That will seal it pretty well.
              3. Weight the lid with bricks or pavers. Be careful to protect the finish of the PBC with a thick cloth, felt, etc. if you choose to do this
              4. Purchase some Nomex LavaLock gasket material and stick it to the inside lip of the lid. Problem solved immediately.

If you're absolutely sure the lid leak is not the problem, then you can follow HawkerXP 's recommendation to stuff a bit of foil in a couple of the rebar holes to bring the temps down. As many have said, PBC's like to run around 270-290°. They cook great food at those temps. They're not as happy running down in the 225° range, but you can do it, being careful not to starve the fire which could result in bad smoke.

Also, some PBC owners who live at sea level report that they have to close the vent more than the recommended amount. I don't live at sea level and have no experience with that. In my experience, moving the bottom vent very much away from its recommended opening does little to control the fire. It's best to set it as recommended and look in other areas for solutions for temperature control issues.

I hope some of this information helps. The important thing is to enjoy using your PBC. It may take a bit of fiddling in the beginning to get to the sweet spot but with experience, you'll be able to pretty much let the PBC do its thing.

Kathryn

Comment

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                I would never call them high maintenance. Not much maintenance once the fire is lit well and the lid is on tight, MTurney .

K.

• MTurney
                MTurney commented
                Editing a comment
                fzxdoc I’ve just heard a lot of people mention they’ve had some trouble keeping lower temps (~225) for extended periods of time, having to put weights on the lids etc. Nothing that’s a big deal. But I’ve been kicking around getting one just because I’ve yet to find someone who doesn’t love their PBC regardless of the manufacturer.

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                MTurney , most PBC owners, at least those I know of here on this forum, do not necessarily espouse the 225° smoking temp. I have smoked brisket on my PBC both at 225° and at 275° and much prefer the flavor, the moistness and the tenderness of the ones smoked at the higher temperature. The PBC is not designed to run at 225°, although I have done it. It loves running at 250 or higher, and can easily do poultry in excess of 325-350° as many recommend.

Lid leaks--easily fixed.

Kathryn
                Last edited by fzxdoc; November 9, 2020, 01:24 PM.

I've been using Kingsford Professional lately, and I've noticed it runs 15-30 degrees hotter in the PBC than Kingsford blue bag.

What kind of fuel and how much did you use?

Comment

• Kascon11
                Kascon11 commented
                Editing a comment
                Kingsford blue bag. I am going to try and sealing the lid.

Thank, my next stop is Amazon for the Nomex LavaLock . I was not sure if that would work or mess anything up. but I will give it a try and see how it goes!

Thanks for all the advice. It is comforting knowing that there people willing to share their experiences. What a great community.

Comment

Got the Nomex Lavalock and temps are 260 ish range. Trying my hand at pork loin roast. Thanks for all the advice. Temps seem to be under control.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here