Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

pork and lamb ribs and a turkey on the PBC today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pork and lamb ribs and a turkey on the PBC today

First off, don't waste any money on lamb ribs. I love lamb, but the ribs are small and way too fatty and have little meat just as Meathead wrote in his lamb cut section.

I'm doing a trial run on turkey to make sure I'm right for turkey day, lamb ribs are just an experiment, and the pork ribs are for me, family can have the bird .

Seasoned the lamb with EVOO, Rosemary powder, garlic, fresh ground peppercorns and salt. The pork ribs have my take on Memphis dust (extra Rosemary powder & less sugar) and PBC seasoning. The bird has EVOO, and good old Tony Chachere's.

I sauced the lamb ribs with honey, white wine, fresh basil, homemade bbq sauce and garlic (pic of sauce in a pan). The ribs were about 80% fat, but the sauce and lamb taste was spot on! Like I said earlier, don't waste your money...unless you like lamb fat in the form of a rib.

For the record, I hate turkey. That being said, after cooking on the PBC, I still hate it. It came out OK, but I will not put a chicken or turkey on my PBC again. Moist but flavorless every time. I can cook a mean chicken on a stick burner but I just don't like the texture and flavor of turkey or chicken on a PBC.

How hot you running to cook dem birds?

Comment

• IvyH
      IvyH commented
      Editing a comment
      About 275.

Man for me, I just love the chicken that comes off that thing. Great combination of convection and smoke. I've used plain old Publix chicken no-brine, Publix chicken self-brine, Trader Joe Brined, etc. All turned out great. I always cut them in half and use the PBC APR. If you throw a rack of ribs on with it even better. What texture are you looking for? More of a slower smoke with chewy skin?

Comment

• IvyH
      IvyH commented
      Editing a comment
      The skin texture for me isn't a deal breaker, if chewy I just discard. The texture of the meat, I'm getting similar to when you marinate too long, just slightly above mushy. And every bird I've done is bland compared to my old stick burner which I used wood in as opposed to charcoal.

Now that I've had some time to reconsider, I think it's time to start adding wood for bird cooks. I don't want to inject because they already seem almost too moist. Maybe it's just a personal preference. I may also lower my cook temp since I'm used to cooking around 230 on birds.

• SurfsUp
      SurfsUp commented
      Editing a comment
      I've experienced that texture with pre-brined birds. Eating fresh off the pit was good but when we added it to say a buffalo chicken dip there was no resistance when you chewed. I did not like that! It was a weird sensation like you were eating tofu or something

Interesting! I dont' buy pre-brined birds. I like 'em fresh and I will brine them, but with my own brine recipe. Family loves it that way. Firm meat, very flavorful. I typically always throw some sort of wood into the PBC when i use it. And I've learned to cook hot like some others do in these here parts. I'm dying to try a turkey, and will be doing so soon!

Comment

Odd that you didn't like the turkey, that is the best thing I have cooked by far and probably the only meat I have never had better from somewhere else. I have requests for 10 of them between Thanksgiving and X-mas so it can't be just me.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here