Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Char Siu and Last Meal Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Char Siu and Last Meal Ribs

I am taking my first run at ribs on the PBC today and have decided to try two recipes...last meal ribs and char Siu ribs. I was really looking forward to hanging ribs but I think that will have to wait for the next time...the char siu ribs need to be on the rack which prevents me from hanging the others. I plan on putting the last meal ribs on a rib rack, I know it's not the same as hanging but I figure it will give me more room, they won't be laying flat, and it should allow for a a little more convection/circulation.

Good luck! Why can't the char Siu ribs hang? Too much sauce?

Comment

The recipe calls for them to be cut into individual ribs... they have already been cut and marinating all night long

Comment

• SurfsUp
        SurfsUp commented
        Editing a comment
        Roger that. Man the Char Siu recipe I am looking at sounds good... I may have to make a batch of those next weekend. I won't cut them and attempt to hang them Let us know how they taste.

• Meathead
        Meathead commented
        Editing a comment
        I like em best (shhhh) without smoke, indoors...

• SurfsUp
        SurfsUp commented
        Editing a comment
        :O

The last meal ribs will be good in there for you to test doneness, that PBC will cook them quite a bit faster than other cookers.

Comment

Sounds like you need to make yourself a Great Grate for your PBC, JTK. See how it's done by clicking here , if you haven't found that topic already.

The PBC makes delicious ribs--you're going to love the results.

Kathryn

Comment

fzxdoc, I have seen the great grate and I think it's time for one...I don't have room for the chicken I was planning on doing.

Thanks to the list of times for the PBC, I have been planning on 3 hours. It's currently running at 320 at the 1 hour mark...should I put a bar in to plug up a couple holes? I always tell myself to stick with Noah's instructions but I always end up tinkering with it.

Comment

It looks as though you have both rebars out, JTK . I only pull the rebars if I want higher temps like for chicken, or if I want to bump a low temp up. Otherwise, I always leave the rebars in for low and slow cooking.

I would think you'd want to run those ribs at lower temp -- once you put the rebars in, the PBC will settle the temp back down to where it is most comfortable, most likely around 260 or so.

Best of luck--let us know how it turns out.

Kathryn

Comment

Thanks, I put both rebar in...hopefully that hour at higher temps didn't throw things off too much.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                I bet it turned out just fine. Give us an update when you get a chance. 😊

Kathryn

Sweet. I cooked a couple racks of beef back ribs in the rib rack. Then I realized you could hang them things for 15+ hours with no problems.

Comment

You are going to love the Char Sui ribs. Meathead nailed that recipe. Don't change it one bit. It's an easy cook too.

I cooked them last week... Mmmm
                Last edited by Breadhead; June 28, 2015, 03:06 PM.

Comment

• Meathead
                  Meathead commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What a great pic!

• Breadhead
                  Breadhead commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for the recipe Meathead. I eyeballed that recipe for over a year before I cooked it. Now that I've tried it I regret not having done it earlier. That's going to be good halftime food during the upcoming football season.

The last meal ribs and chicken quarters I did turned out awesome, the char Siu ribs were a different story. With the rebar being out for the first hour the temp was too high, when I looked at them after two hours they were as black as could be and far beyond crispy. I learned a valuable lesson with the rebar will definitely try the char Siu ribs in the future.

Sorry I don't have a picture of the ribs and chicken, I always forget that part because I want to eat right away.

Comment

• SurfsUp
                  SurfsUp commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Dang, too bad! Still, as Meatloaf - not to be confused with Meathead and Jack Nicholson in Mars Attacks said, "2 out of 3 ain't bad".
                  Last edited by SurfsUp; June 28, 2015, 07:10 PM.

JTK , sounds like you had some good eats with the Last Meal Ribs and the chicken. Did you use a rub on the chicken?

Too bad about the Char Siu ribs, but consider it a sacrifice to the PBC gods so that all your future cooks turn out awesome!

One nice thing about the PBC--the learning curve is a short one and the results are pretty doggone consistent after a couple of cooks.

Kathryn

Comment

I used the PBC all purpose rub, which has quickly become one of my favorites for chicken. My fiance is in love with a simple coating of garlic salt on her chicken but she said that the chicken last night was awesome and that I shouldn't hesitate to do it anytime I want.

After seeing the chunks of blacktop that were supposed to be char siu ribs, I was really afraid that the last meal ribs would be dry...but the PBC pulled through and they were amazing.

It was a pretty rainy weekend for us but I made good use of my time:
                  11# maple bacon
                  5# last meal ribs
                  5# chicken leg quarters
                  2# simple creamy cole slaw (w/ sweet relish)

Comment

• Tim E
                    Tim E commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sounds like a productive weekend JTK.
                    I have enjoyed the LMR's on the PBC as well.
                    Also agree 100% on the PBC all purpose rub, it has quickly become a staple in my house. I am eyeing a bulk order of the stuff very soon!

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here