Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

pbc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pbc

just received my pbc . tryed my first cook it, had trouble getting the coals to burn. any ideas on how to get a good fire ?

Comment

Go to the PBC website and watch a couple of the how-to videos - well worth the time. I fill up my basket, douse liberally with lighter fluid, put the basket in the barrel, light, let burn with the cover off for 12 minutes, and I'm ready to go. That's the original lighting method and has never let me down. Make sure you have your damper set to your elevation as well. Good Luck!!

Comment

Just out of curiosity, what steps did you take to try and light it?

Comment

• jwaltz34
          jwaltz34 commented
          Editing a comment
          filled the basket took out about 40 coals . started the 40 coals. let them go about 15 minutes dumped then in . started the cook . about a hour later the coals were going out.

Read the sticky on lighting.

The alternate way that also works is -
        1) Fill basket with charcoal
        2) put lighter fluid on charcoal -DO THIS OUTSIDE OF THE BARREL
        3) Put basket in the barrel.
        4) Light
        5) Let burn with the top off for 15 mins.
        6) Rock n Roll.

But I prefer using a chimney to fluid.

Comment

After the hot 40 coals in your chimney have been dumped, let the fire burn for about 10 minutes with the lid off and rebars out. Then put the lid on and leave the rebars out for another 5 to 10 minutes. After that, put the rebars in and add the meat. Make sure your lid is on nice and tight with no smoke seeping out.

Getting the fire well lit in the beginning and having the lid on nice and tight is the key to stable PBC temps throughout the cook, at least in my experience.

Let us know how your next cook goes!

Kathryn

Comment

• jwaltz34
            jwaltz34 commented
            Editing a comment
            I will try that. on my first attempt i shut the lid right after i dumped the coals. ;let you know how it works out. Thanks for your suggestions.

• jwaltz34
            jwaltz34 commented
            Editing a comment
            Last 2 cooks went good . No problem with the coals. Thanks for your help.

Thanks all for your suggestions on how to fix the coals.

Comment

Agree with letting it burn a bit once you dump in the hot coals. I go 10 minutes with no lid/rebars and then add the rebars and lid and wait a few min before putting on my food.

One other issue may be where you put your PBC. I moved mine from where I originally had it and it had issues with it staying lit and turned out I didn't get much airflow where I moved it, it was in a sort of confined area and when I shifted it a few feet, more in the open, the lighting issues went away

Comment

No problems with the second cook. it was a short cook .i let the lid off after the coals were dumped and it worked just fine. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here