Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PBC Short Cook? Yes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PBC Short Cook? Yes!

I love Italian sausage but mostly grilled Italian sausage. My usual go to is Weber / SNS, a chunk of wood and a fast finish sear but a quick gasser cook or even a stint on the cranked up pellet cooker works for me. But why not on the PBC? With multiple cook options I tend to categorize what cooker is used for what and never really considered a short cook on the PBC. Big mistake. On a why not whim I dumped 40 unlit in the pan with 40 fully lit on top with a chunk of oak, added the sausage and about 45 minutes later, wow. The unique PBC flavor profile, a perfect smoke ring and a casing that wasn't overcooked was grilled sausage on an entirely different level. I realize I'm preaching to the choir here and because we all know what a grilled sausage looks like didn't post pics but man, I'm telling you these were the best I've ever cooked.

Great to hear. I have never done Italian sausage on the PBC. However, I don't think I have ever had bad food come off the PBC.

Comment

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      Me either, except for that time I wondered what a smoked head of cauliflower would taste like. Just sayin, don't go there.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Veggies are not allowed in my smokers. LOL hoovarmin

• hogdog6
      hogdog6 commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't eat what my food eats👍

I agree. I do this frequently. Smoked hot italian sausages are one of the favorite things I do in the PBC.

I also use it for all manner of shorter cooks, steaks, wings, sausages, meatballs,etc. Always start with 40 lit coals and then vary what I have in the basket based on how long I expect the cook to take.

Comment

Love grilled sausage. Grilled boudin is the bomb since I prefer a crispy casing on boudin.

Comment

• hoovarmin
        hoovarmin commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed on boudin. None of us have enough boudin in our lives.

Nice! So did you throw them on the grate vs hanger and was the lid on or off?

Comment

• cgrover60
        cgrover60 commented
        Editing a comment
        Used the sausage hanger, lid on. Bottom sausages slightly more cooked so next time will be on the grate.

Good call to do sausages solo on the PBC, cgrover60 . PBC sausages are the bomb, that's for sure.

The next time you smoke chicken on the PBC, throw in a couple of hangers of hot Italian sausages (or mild if you prefer). Poke a few holes in the lowermost sausage on each rack so the sizzling sausage fat hits the coals as the chicken cooks. You'll have to pull the sausage sooner and keep it in a warming oven until the chicken finishes up, but you'll have a delicious meal.

I let the sausages hang out until they reach 185° because I like the more snappy casing that results, as opposed to pulling them at 165°as is often recommended.

I never make chicken in the PBC without a hanger or two loaded up with hot Italian sausages keeping the yardbirds company and enhancing their flavor.

Kathryn
      Last edited by fzxdoc; October 18, 2020, 07:44 PM.

Comment

• cgrover60
        cgrover60 commented
        Editing a comment
        Great idea for the ultimate PBC chicken @fzxdoc.Given your background and creativity you should publish a specific work on the subject such as "Life, the Universe and the PBC". Put me down for a copy when you do.

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        @cgrover,

Kathryn

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here