Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rosh Ha'Shanna Smoked Brisket Feast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rosh Ha'Shanna Smoked Brisket Feast

It's a Jewish American tradition that brisket is served for Jewish New Year (Rosh Ha'Shanna). Usually, it's braised in a sweet-ish, oniony broth that's...fine. This year, I decided to try my first brisket on the PBC as part of my family's holiday dinner. We're a small family, so I got a 5lb flat from my local Stater Bros. Could have hoped for a little more marbling, but it was a nice piece of meat. Click image for larger version

Name:	raw.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	916333

A generous coat (maybe too generous?) of BBR minus the chile, and in to the barrel.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	rubbed.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	916334
    The PBC did its usual thing for me:
    I used the 15-10-10 method and it ran hot. Over 300 by my probe for the first three hours at least. I got panicked, paying too much attention to the ambient temp in the barrel and not enough to how the cook was actually going. Plugged the holes, worried and tinkered, and like always, the PBC just did its thing and gave me a great cook.

I hit the stall kind of hot - around 180, but had a beautiful bark when I pulled it.

Name:	pulled at 180.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	916335
    Wrapped and finished in the oven until 202 and it was gorgeous. A little lean but not dry at all. 9AM when I put it in the barrel, 3PM when it went in the faux cambro.

Name:	cut_brisket.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	916336

Served with a round challah and home-made matzoball soup. I made the broth with chicken leg bones and used the meat next day for satay. Happy New Year everyone!

Name:	round challah.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	916339Click image for larger version

Name:	soup.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	916338Click image for larger version

Name:	satay.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	916337

Happy New Year back to you.
    That whole spread looks delicious.

Comment

Dang. Waste not want not. Good use of the leftover meat off the bones. Ambient temp, schmambient schmemp. That flat looks right

Comment

Nice smoke ring too.. lots of good flavors there. This time of year I'm always Jewish until I go pagan for Halloween, then Christian for Christmas.

Comment

שנה טובא

Comment

Wishing you a great Holiday!!

Comment

A beautiful meal for the new year. L'Shana Tova.

Comment

Great job.

Comment

Nice job! PBC, PBJ, PBC!

Comment

What a beauty of a cook. Happy New Year. May it be filled with safe and joyful days.

Kathryn

Comment

Very nice! Happy New Year!

Comment

Feliz Año Nuevo

Comment

Wow...All looks totally Awesome! Happy Rosh Ha'Shanna!

Comment

Nice cook. Happy New Year and may you and your loved ones be written into the The Book of Life for another year of health and prosperity.

Comment

Hey neighbor. I love me some Matzo Ball Soup. I remember stumbling into the 24 hour Jewish deli’s after a late night. A cup of Matzo Ball soup alongside a plate of lox, eggs and onions scrambled. Ah good times.

happy new year!!
                              Last edited by TripleB; September 26, 2020, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here