Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New member and pulled pork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi new member,

Comment

Welcome aboard from sunny SoCal.

As for the question at hand...
      I have absolutely nothing to offer regarding a PBC. Never even seen one up close.
      Along with the above advice, HawkerXP seems to be the resident PBC guru. At the very least it’s most fervent cheerleader.

Comment

Welcome from California! Pork butt is often labeled "forgiving" - and it is - but my experience tells me you can’t rush a pork butt. Too hot and fast and the connective tissue doesn’t break down enough and it’s tough and hard to pull.

It’s by far the longest cook I do - typically 14-16 hours. Keep the pit moist and don’t wrap until it looks like a meteorite.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!
          Cheers from Norway

Comment

Welcome from Virginia!

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!

Lookin forward to learnin along with, an from ya!

A thermo will only tell ya when meat's safe to eat...

Probe test'll tell when it's fit to eat.

Comment

Another recent PB newb, thanks for posting as I learned some things and this will really help me when I try.

Comment

Get a good initial light on the coals and then get the lid on nice and tight. If you see smoke wisps coming out from under the lid and rim edge, you know you've got a leak. Even a little one can shoot the temps up pretty high and keep them there. I don't have a PBJ, but have used a PBC for several years. I didn't have a lid leak until about 2 years into heavy PBC use. The leak occurred right where the barrel seam meets the lid.

Once I sealed the underside edge of the lid with Nomex Lavalok, my battle with high temps went away for good. Until then, I used long strips of heavy duty aluminum foil, doubled, to crimp around the lid/rim seam where the leak was coming from, and the temps would settle right down.

Click image for larger version

Name:	518WcfcUoQL._AC_.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	913621

Kathryn

Comment

• ByTor
                    ByTor commented
                    Editing a comment
                    just ordered this

• Alabama Smoke
                    Alabama Smoke commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Added this to my PBC recently. Tremendous difference. My leak was right above a rebar hole and with smoke coming through the hole, it was darned hard to find smoke coming through the leak area.

• fzxdoc
                    fzxdoc commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That's exactly where my leak was as well, Alabama Smoke. I had to hold a square of cardboard just above the rebars to divert that smoke and sure enough, there was a lid leak there right at the barrel seam area.

Kathryn

Agree with the others that a tenderness probe test is the way to go. I never pull my butts until they hit 203°. Always seems to work for me. Also, I’ve started cooking in pans. The braising effects the tenderness quite a bit.

Comment

Great info above. fzxdoc is the Queen of the PBC and has kindly shared her knowledge with us if you look in the channels section. The lighting of the coals and leak control will help with runaway temps.

Comment

So my 2nd cook and first with ribs ran into some issues as well. my first cook was 2 chickens and had my coals going really good before putting in the chickens. starter basket was probably 15 or 20 minutes, 10 minutes in the barrel no lid and 10 with lid cracked and had a temp of about 350.

This time used the leftover coal and re-filled it. I let the starter basket go about 12 minutes the top wasn't really ashed over. I le the basket go about 10 minutes and through everything in. It was under 200 degrees and barely climbing after 30 minutes so I cracked the lid. It went up to 250 and stalled on me so I added about 10 chunks of coal thinking I didn't have enough? It eventually got up to 300 and then I added a chicken. I looked at my remote a half hour later and it was 450!! What the hell?

So I grabbed some aluminum foil and plugged 3 holes and got it down to 315. At that point the ribs were pretty well done. I sauced them and put them back in for 20 minutes. This is when I noticed I forgot to run the probe in the chicken through the rebar hole and just that small break in the seal caused my problem.

All in all the ribs were a little over done and the bottom was burnt but it was still really good. The chicken turned out amazing again. Live and learn. I got a little to comfortable.

Comment

• Alabama Smoke
                      Alabama Smoke commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I suggest you start your coals per the mfg. website initially they have great instructions and video there. You can move to something more complicated later. Assuming you had both rebars in, the probe cable was not the issue. You may have a lid leak which is not uncommon. If so there are various ways to attach that problem but a leak is a definite problem with causing high temps. Using old half burned coals is ok I think for the starter coals only. I do better with new coals in the basket.

• ByTor
                      ByTor commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Good idea about using them as the starter coals. Thanks.

Welcome from TN. In no time you'll be running that pbc like a pro.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	B5FF3CCD-AE5B-4584-B8D5-1BE1F5A19107.jpeg
Views:	213
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	914837
                      I also have a PBJ. Here’s the way i arrange the charcoal for longer cooks such as brisket and pork butt. I had the same problem with the fire going out on longer cooks. Part of the problem is the smaller PBJ basket. This arrangement took care of that. I also use Weber charcoal for the long cooks; I think it lasts longer than my usual Kingsford Pro. I light 10-15 pieces until it ashes over, then add it with tongs to the basket, let it go for another 10 minutes, then add the meat. Most of the long-time PBC folks here have advised not to chase temp because it runs hotter than you’re used to, so I haven’t. I use the above method and let it go. I smoke pork butts on the grate, and don’t wrap—I like more bark. I’ll agree that you might have pulled it a bit early. Mine usually go to ~205 until probe tender. Hope this helps.

Comment

I didn’t mean to filibuster ya without saying welcome.

Comment

Welcome to the PIT from the Lou!

I don't have a PB(j or C), so I have nothing to add except that..

I'm eating a pulled pork sub on whole wheat bun RIGHT NOW. I used the last of it, with plenty of juice left to pour over the sammy after it was stuffed full. 110 seconds in mic, pulled the bun from the toaster when the bell rang. Yum Yum Yum I hope you're still enjoying yours..

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here