Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New member and pulled pork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New member and pulled pork

newbie on the Pit Barrel jr..
    Have had at least 3 or 4 fantastic cooks on the Pit Barrel jr..
    Today was the exception. 7 lb shoulder for pulled pork. Fire kept getting up to the 350's and had about an hour and a half trying to stabilize her. She finally settled down but with all the high temperatures the fire ran out of fuel. Finished her on the pellet grill. Pulled at 198. Sections were very tender and others were tough to pull. Obviously I did several things wrong. Please tell me what I may have done wrong.

Greetings from South Africa.
    When I get to target temp or near that's when I start checking for probe tenderness. Maybe yours needed to go a little longer.
    ( and a hold in cambro after cook)
    Last edited by holehogg; September 19, 2020, 03:26 PM.

Comment

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      Exactly right. Cooking at high temps, you need to hold the meat there for a while to give it time to melt all that colagen and fat.

Welcome from Northern Colorado! I just joined also after only a few days of free trial and seeing how much awesome knowledge is shared on here.

High temps will mess up a slow cook for sure. Did you wrap to keep moisture in? The top youtuber's always talk about the poke test with thermometer more than looking at the temps. That's helped me get over mistakes from believing the temp reads.

Get back on the saddle and try it again! Enjoy the info that this site shares.

Comment

My BKK can yoyo all over the place for temps sometimes up to your 350 sometimes 400 before I can reel it in.
      Pork butts/shoulders are pretty forgiving, so I don't think temps were the whole problem.
      I wrap in foil when the inside temp hits 170-180 and its 50/50 for cambro.
      Sometimes you just get a tough old boars butt/shoulder.

Comment

Welcome from Colorado ...

Comment

Is the PBC pretty new?

High temps are normally related to not getting a good seal on the lid. You can gunk it up with some cooking spray or some folks use lava lock to get a good seal.

That should help stabilize the temps.

Also, check out the lighting instructions on the PBC section here.
          My temps are more consistent when I'm more mindful about lighting

Comment

Don't pull at internal temps pull at tenderness. Every butt I have done is very tender on the money muscle end and not so tender on the other end where the bone is at. Takes a good hold to get the not so tender side on par with what I want.

Comment

• zzdocxx
              zzdocxx commented
              Editing a comment
              I think I have started learning this.

2/3 of it great, then the other end is a little tough. But cut off with a knife, it was still great.

Yes where the bone is, that's the tough part, I am finding. Funny I just posted about this the other day !
              Last edited by zzdocxx; September 20, 2020, 01:55 PM.

Welcome to the pit.

Sounds like you may possibly have a bit of a lid leak. Try spraying the rim of the lid with cooking spray, that'll help it seal. You can also try weighing the lid down with a couple of bricks.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit from Dallas!

Comment

Welcome from Oz, you will like it here

Comment

Welcome from Maryland

Comment

Much like the other folks on this forum - might have pulled it a wee bit early, and it steadily rising to high temps vs dropping down in the first 30 minutes sounds like the lid wasn't seated quite right. So until you find that sweet spot, grab some foil and wrap it around one of the rebars to balance out the amount of oxygen that is feeding the fire. Should be maybe one or two of the rebars and eventually on future cooks not at all.

Comment

Welcome from Minnesota.

Comment

Welcome from the California Delta.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here