Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alternative charcoal stacking method for more coals for the long cook in the PBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternative charcoal stacking method for more coals for the long cook in the PBC

I have seen several posts (can't find them right now) where a double row of coals stacked two deep and two high were placed around the perimeter of the charcoal basket in order to get a longer burn time for a long cook.

I am wondering what that stacking arrangement did to barrel temperature as opposed to simply dumping coals into the basket from the bag. I tried the stacking procedure earlier today and I think you can get at least twice as many coals in that way (no I did not count) but it surely seemed to be so.

The hole in the center: is that where the coals from the chimney were dumped?

So, did the barrel temps noticeable increase with such a stacking method?????

I will attempt to post a pic to illustrate the stacking.

EDIT: How did this work for you as to time before charcoal was depleted? The coals pictured are KBB. Got a great deal on them at Home Depot a couple of days ago. Two twenty lbs. bags for about $20.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Alabama Smoke; September 5, 2020, 01:05 PM.

If using that method, I’d fill in the center with unlit briquettes as well. In that pic there’s still plenty of room on top to dump lit coals. I’ve never used the OCD method myself. Recently I’ve been experimenting with B & B char logs for long cooks and using the standard 40 briquettes in a chimney to light them. The char logs gave me about 16 hours burn time over 250 degrees.

Comment

• Alabama Smoke
      Alabama Smoke commented
      Editing a comment
      Interesting. I have gotten 8 to 9 hours just by filling up the charcoal basket so this may or may not make a lot of difference. I think I will add in the center as you suggest as there is indeed room for 30 to 40 hot briquettes on top. After thinking about it, I do believe I got more coals into the basket this way, but not twice as many. I remember dumping to the top of the basket is about 8 lbs. After this stacking method was complete, I had approximately half of 20 lbs. left.
      Last edited by Alabama Smoke; September 5, 2020, 02:18 PM.

• Thomassen
      Thomassen commented
      Editing a comment
      Just saw this post. How many Char Logs do you put in your coal basket to start?

• Red Man
      Red Man commented
      Editing a comment
      Thomassen No set number. I stand them vertical and cram as many in as I can. The height varies on each, so I put taller ones around the outside so the lit briquettes that I dump in don’t spill out.

Never stacked, just used B & B Hardwood briquets with a single top layer of KBB.

Comment

• Alabama Smoke
      Alabama Smoke commented
      Editing a comment
      I have tried, in addition to KBB, most other readily available brands, although I have never seen any B&B locally. My PBC started running hotter than I liked after two or more years of use (upwards from 325F) with most of the non KBB coals I have tried. I have now installed a gasket in the lid, which will hopefully help a lot with my butt cook tomorrow. We shall see. I am not looking for 225F but it would be nice to be able to keep it under 300F.
      Last edited by Alabama Smoke; September 5, 2020, 03:18 PM.

• au4stree
      au4stree commented
      Editing a comment
      Alabama Smoke, I’m assuming you’re in or near Bham Metro. Academy stores carry B&B charcoal, all kinds. Pre-quarantine crap they had the b&b briqs, always in stock. Lately, they’ve been scarce. I’ve also heard Ace Hardware stores is an option.

au4stree yes, I live in Meadowbrook, southeast of downtown. Thanks for that tip. My closest Academy at Lee Branch closed a few months ago, but there are quite a few others as you know in the metro area. I will check that out. Also there is an Ace not too far away. After all this virus mess is cleared up and we can start making new friends again, perhaps you and I ought to meet for a drink!

Comment

Spinnaker I seem to remember you posting about this charcoal stacking method I am inquiring about in this post. Can you possible shed any light on my questions regarding it? I sure would appreciate it if you can assist. Thanks, Tom

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here