Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To wrap or not to wrap (a butt)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To wrap or not to wrap (a butt)

Most of the PBC recipes I have seen involve wrapping the butt for pulled pork, but I'm thinking of trying without wrapping to get better, crustier bark. What are the consequences (intended or otherwise) of not wrapping? What can I expect for time? Most of the listings I have seen involve wrapping (though there is a larger unwrapped one in the awesome sticky note). I have done ribs very successfully without it. Am I setting myself up for failure? It is a 8.75 ib bone-in shoulder roast.

I’ve done it both ways with the PBJ. I think the results were better unwrapped. As you said, more bark, less time. It increased the time when I wrapped I think. I didn’t see any advantage wrapping.

Comment

• Green Caribou
      Green Caribou commented
      Editing a comment
      Interesting input aout the time. Everything I've read suggests wrapping helps speed things up.

I have mostly never wrapped pork butt.
    ​​​​​​I don't think it needs it.

Having said that, the last one I did, I wrapped in butcher paper. It also came out tasty without softening the bark. I will probably do that again just bc I already have a roll of butcher paper.

I would not wrap in foil bc the bark will soften.

Just my 2 cents. Other folks may do it different.
    Last edited by BFlynn; September 4, 2020, 04:42 PM.

Comment

I don't wrap butts in the PBJr., I like the bark and the PBC cooks fast enough that wrapping isn't necessary to speed things up. I just cook on the grate the whole way, if I remember I might flip the butt over once the bark is set because the bottom can get kinda thick and crunchy, but it really doesn't matter once you pull it and mix it all up. My last butt was ~9.5 lbs. and took almost exactly 7.5 hours from going in the pit to getting wrapped to go in the cambro, Junior ran at an average of 275 F the whole time.

Comment

So at 8 hrs it is still only 179. The temp has been a little unstable and I had to add some charcoal but it doesn't seem to be sustaining a temp over about 250. I broke off a small chunk and it tasts great and is very tender on the outside. Warming up the oven in case I need to finish it in there.

Update: Just moved it to the oven. The PBC temp had dropped to 245 and I just cold not sustain a viable temp. We want to eat sometime today. Next time maybe I'll overload the charcoal a bit and add some a little earlier. It also bounced up to 315 at one point and I had to close off the air for a few minutes to get it back down. Weird day.
        Last edited by Green Caribou; September 5, 2020, 06:58 PM.

Comment

• hogdog6
          hogdog6 commented
          Editing a comment
          IMHO Once it hits 160* And the bark has set, it's not taking on any more smoke you can wrap and put in the oven without sacrificing any bbq flavor. That said I don't normally wrap a butt When I did I used pink butcher paper not foil and it was great

I cheat (because I usually need the barrel space for things other than just the butt).
        I pull the butt after about three hours and finish it in the instant pot. I use beer or broth in the pot for the liquid. This produces the most tender, consistent pulled pork ever.
        Ok, I'm ready for the blasphemer attacks. Lol

Comment

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment

Nothing wrong with "doing it your way" on the PBC!
          Last edited by HawkerXP; December 8, 2020, 08:35 AM.

• Skip
          Skip commented
          Editing a comment
          ALWAYS do what works for you. I'm sure it is tender and tasty.

When I come out of the stall I'll put in foil pan with a little apple juice and or cider cover and finish in oven. I like to be able to catch some of those juices to add back when pulled.

Comment

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          +1.
          I usually use a dark beer of some kind

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here