Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PBC or Jr?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PBC or Jr?

I have a big smoker (Deep South gc42) and I want something for just the family and occasional company. The DS is way too big to fire up for a couple racks of ribs or a single pork shoulder. So I’m debating between the pbc and the pbc jr. help me decide.

That junior would be easier to move around. Man I miss that Pit Barrel flavour/flavor. The original was too bulky for just me. Now you got me wanting a junior.......

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      That original PBC went to a good home and is getting lots of BBQ loving. Maybe you should have set up a visitation schedule for it.

K.

When it comes to smoking/grilling, you never go wrong going larger. The PBC does a nice job for our family--sometimes it's just the two of us, sometimes a table of 10 or more. I like the versatility of being able to load the PBC when necessary but just as easily throw on a single rib rack for hubby and me once in a while.

If you routinely only cook for two, then the PBJ might be the wiser choice. I don't own one, and don't know how much charcoal savings you realize with the smaller footprint.

Kathryn

Comment

The PBCjr has plenty of space for hanging, just figure some extra time if you really load it up with ribs or chicken. The only times I've run close on space was when it's time to use the rack for a butt or brisket because I'm in the habit of buying the biggest one in the case. I've since moved from brisket to chuckies so not really a problem with space. Chuckies really do well when hanged.

Comment

Get both! You can store Jr in the larger one so space savings! Ok. You don't say how many in the family. Go with the size that fits the need. PBC, PBJ, PBC, PBJ!

Comment

Pellet Grill, you will be glad you did.

Comment

For what it's worth I love my PBC but it really is overkill when I cook for two 95% of the time. If I had the space for another cooker I'd get a PBJ no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by cgrover60 View Post
              For what it's worth I love my PBC but it really is overkill when I cook for two 95% of the time. If I had the space for another cooker I'd get a PBJ no problem.
              I just bought my PBC but I wouldn't necessarily say it's overkill. I live alone and I agree a Jr. would probably be just fine most of the time. However, I can still cook as much or as little on my PBC as I choose. And... there will be times where I do more than necessary for myself only, but I'll give away a slab of ribs or brisket to friends and family. But in the end, it's whatever floats your boat.

Comment

I just cook for the two of us and the PBC is my only smoker. (Weber Kettle is dedicated to direct-grill only.) It can be a little cavernous when just doing two racks of ribs. Still, when doing chicken on the grate, I am glad I got the larger size. I would easily run out of room with the Junior.

Sometimes I wonder if the junior, with its necessarily less charcoal capacity, can't cook as long for a pork butt or brisket. I can't find anyone really complaining about this, so it doesn't seem to be the case to me.

Comment

• Soonerpop
                  Soonerpop commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I responded below then saw this. I found out on my first PBJ pork butt that you could run out of fire. I started maximizing the amount of charcoal by arranging it precisely. There’s a pic on my post about my rib cook-Junior Got with It. I’ve done pork butts and briskets with no problem running out of fire.

• Soonerpop
                  Soonerpop commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oops, wrong post referenced for charcoal basket pic. Here ‘tis

I’m going to share my third brisket attempt on the PBJ. I’ve learned a couple of things that will now be part of my routine on long (brisket and butt) cooks. I’ve done a couple of flats, about 7.7# each. The first came out really good for a first time attempt, moist and juicy. It was injected, rubbed and cooked hot and

Hey, I’m old.

I have the PBC and luv it
                room to hang 2 racks or 8 racks of ribs,
                Using the grate is when I appreciate the size,,,
                I usually cook for 3 and up to 10,,,,
                I think the larger one gives you more flexability

Comment

I almost never use the full capacity of my PBC but I'm glad to have the extra room when I need it.

Comment

PBJ owner here. It’s more portable. It does a great job for the two of us, but I’ve cooked three racks of ribs (cut in half, 6 hooks) and there was room for another. Volume shouldn’t be a problem. It also does a good job with the corn and sausage hangers, and the basket. However, the 14” width limits the size pan or basket you can use when using the half grate—hanging on half and grilling on the,other. Sometimes, I wish I had more room in that case. But it’s a good choice 90% of the time for what I cook for me and my wife. Hope that helps, and let us know what you decide.

Comment

If you only need to rip a few racks of ribs, I would go with the Jr.

Comment

You can get quite a lot into a 14" drum if you want, and long burn times, too.

On Sunday I made dinner for 19 (admittedly, three were under the age of 7) with my 14" diameter "junior" sized drum cooker. We had plenty left over,

Comment

ended up getting this one for a song so gateway it is. May add a pbc later.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	2962D144-192E-4F78-82FF-A2E312124C66.jpeg
Views:	398
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	905609Click image for larger version

Name:	FE8B9899-CE4B-4541-BD5D-2E5E3069C0F0.jpeg
Views:	394
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	905610

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here