Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boneless "Country Style" Beef Ribs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boneless "Country Style" Beef Ribs?

I wanted to try Dino Ribs for the first time on the PBC, but our little island market didn't have anything ready to go. What they did have was a sale on Boneless Beef "Country Style" Ribs. I saw a package with some pretty good marbling so I thought I'd give it a go. Any advice on how to approach these on the PBC? Thanks.
    Attached Files

These are likely to be somewhat tuff. Thinking you will need to cook to around 203F to get them tender. Probe tender is more important than what the thermometer says. I would probably lay them on the grate so I could plug a rebar hole or two to control the heat. This should ideally be a low and slow cook. On my PBC I would likely plug two holes to help keep temps as close to 250F as possible. Not sure what else to suggest as I usually cook these on my weber and keep as close to 225F as possible. Still the PBC, I believe, will do you a good job. On either cooker I have mentioned, I would probably not wrap but let them build up a nice bark cooking naked (the beef not me, lol)!

Comment

• bardsleyque
      bardsleyque commented
      Editing a comment
      c'mon we know you're cooking naked...

Originally posted by Alabama Smoke View Post
    These are likely to be somewhat tuff. Thinking you will need to cook to around 203F to get them tender. Probe tender is more important than what the thermometer says. I would probably lay them on the grate so I could plug a rebar hole or two to control the heat. This should ideally be a low and slow cook. On my PBC I would likely plug two holes to help keep temps as close to 250F as possible. Not sure what else to suggest as I usually cook these on my weber and keep as close to 225F as possible. Still the PBC, I believe, will do you a good job. On either cooker I have mentioned, I would probably not wrap but let them build up a nice bark cooking naked (the beef not me, lol)!
    Thanks...I'll give this a try.

Comment

Almost bought some last week, on accounta they was on sale, but other stuff came up...

My plan was to smoke em like a chuck roast, to probe tender-ish, prob take em off, neighbourhood a 185-190, nice an barky, then pan em, foil, an hold bout th same temp fer at least an hour in th oven...

I didn't wanna take my IT so far that they were fallin apart, but wanted some tender, kinda a balancin act

Here's a useful link that might be of some assist, an th site's one Hailluva Great reference source fer All Things Beef...

Comment

• vibemore
        vibemore commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! That site is a great resource.

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't know how I missed this Bones, but thanks. Great site!

Yeah I tried some of these last month, pulled them off too early I think and they were tough. Also tried to apply a glaze but I think I put it on too early, resulting in sort of a rock hard and charred crust.

I was disappointed but I have some more and one day I'll try it again. Please let us know how these come out !

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Did ya temp em, when ya pulled em off?
        I'm right in there tryin to learn, same as we all are.
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; August 20, 2020, 05:47 PM.

• zzdocxx
        zzdocxx commented
        Editing a comment
        I got impatient and TBH I pulled them off a little early, in the low 190s, thinking they'd continue to cook while resting. That and glazing too early were my big mistakes I think. The glaze sort of turned to char, I suppose due to the sugar ?

zzdocxx Ended up with a similar experience. Got some great bark and did a glaze as well, but they were a bit tough. Great flavor though! Wondering about smoking them and then finishing with a kind of wrap or braise next time. Ended up being good, but not great.

Comment

• zzdocxx
        zzdocxx commented
        Editing a comment
        Same here, my mom's caretaker is a great cook, and helped me repurpose for tacos, tortas, scrambled eggs. We shredded/cut it up into pieces it with the help of a knife.

If I get organized, I might put them in for a long long SV cook before smoking, then smoke them and put them on till tender, or to 205F, whichever comes first. Then maybe hit them with a glaze after cooking.

I saw an apricot glaze recipe that looked interesting.

Haha searched boneless beef ribs and here I am back on this thread where I commented last August. I'm taking another shot at them today and will cook a half pork butt and some sausages at the same time.

Last time the ribs came out quite dry and hard. Most pork butt has been very nice on the Traeger grill, but I've had a couple of dry ones. Hence the new strategy below. I wanted to inject the pork but don't have any apple juice on hand.

Here's my plan --

1. Last night I put the ribs in a simple marinade consisting of vinegar, sugar, salt, and minced garlic.
      2. I have just put them on the smoker at ~225F. After a couple of hours, I'll
      3. put them into a covered pot and put them in the oven (325F?).

4. I applied a rub (w/salt) to the pork butt.
      5. I'll smoke it for a good while, then
      6. put it in a pot with a lid in the oven.

I don't have a pot or roasting pan or dutch oven, but have some Anolon Nouveau Copper cookware that is supposed to be oven safe to 500F. So I will use that.

7. If there's room in the pot, can I cook the beef and pork together, and can I add some sausage?
      8. I have some of those gold potatoes, how can I cook those ?
      9. Would the smoker grill add an extra dimension of flavor to them?
      10. My pot will be a bit small so could I put the potatoes either under or on top of the meat ?
      11. Can I put in other vegetables eg. carrots and onions ? I'm looking for a bbq type flavor rather than just a stew.
      12. Does the beef need to be seared or browned at any point?

Looking forward to you input, thank you !

Last edited by zzdocxx; March 27, 2021, 08:37 AM.

Comment

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        I like it "Plan your cook and cook your plan!"

Boneless beef country style ribs AKA boneless chuck ribs are cut from the chuck eye roll. Therefore, any cooking technique applicable to chuck will work. Smoke with or without crutch to 200+ degrees, sous-vide Q, etc.

Comment

• zzdocxx
        zzdocxx commented
        Editing a comment
        Good info. By any chance do you have experience in the meat cutting field? During the meat shortage days of the early pandemic, I stocked up on some sub-primal pieces from Costco Business Center, including a chuck roll. I looked on youtube to see how to cut it up. There were various ways and one or more did show boneless country style ribs. I did it a way where I got some "Denver" steaks out of it.

But I didn't know that all BCR came from the chuck roll.

Thanks!

• johnec00
        johnec00 commented
        Editing a comment
        zzdocxx You and I have the same amount of experience in breaking down the chuck roll - once. Here's what I posted at the time: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...und-chuck-roll

There are members here that have much more experience in meat cutting than I.
        Last edited by johnec00; March 28, 2021, 08:33 PM.

My wife brought some of those home a few years ago and after lots of looking around about what to do with them I ended up braiding them, not bad, but not ribs.

Twords the end of last summer Wagyu boneless ribs started appearing from time to time so I stocked up and took a different approach. I put rub on them and smoked them like they were ribs. I did figure out that you do need to wrap them once they stall, and open them up to let them dry out a bit before you pull them off the smoker. They end up being little pieces of rib candy with more bark than you can get on a regular rib. The trick is to cut them so that they are as evenly sized as possible so the all cook the same, big pieces and little pieces will mean you get some done before others or overdone ones and some just right.

Comment

• zzdocxx
        zzdocxx commented
        Editing a comment
        Sounds nice ! I haven't seen those but I'm mostly a Costco shopper.

Here's how it went down.

Smoked the ribs for a few hours.

Seared in sautee pan, removed ribs and mixed in a concoction of sauces, vinegar, garlic etc. to taste.

Then decided to add a couple of cups of beef broth, which I made from "Better Than Broth".

Then I put the ribs back in and simmered them for a few hours. I also sliced up as many gold potatoes as I could get to fit in the saute pan with the meat and broth etc.

Falling apart tender, good flavor. There's probably an easier way to do it but I was also smoking a half boneless pork shoulder at the same time anyway.

Made a big mess in kitchen, as usual. Compliments on the ribs validated me and I felt quite a sense of accomplishment. Did I mention the last time I tried this, I left them on smoker grill the whole time and they came out like shoe leather ?

I've got a few pics on my phone, I'll try to post them.

Last edited by zzdocxx; March 28, 2021, 04:41 PM.

Comment

The results.
        Attached Files

Comment

One little mistake was that I put a little avocado oil in the pan to sear, but it was the end of the bottle so I just poured the rest in. So it ended up w too much oil floating around and in the potatoes. You can see the oil on the plate. Overall flavor was good though and falling apart tender, yay team !

Comment

Looks great. You did a nice job with it. Glad it worked out well for you right up to (almost) the end. A little extra oil never hurt anyone, though, IMO.

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here