Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cooker for ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooker for ribs

I have been cooking for about 1.5 years. I have a PK, Traeger and gas grill. I do mostly chicken, brisket and burgers/brats.. I have been thinking about venturing into ribs for groups of 10 or more and seeing all the racks of ribs hanging in the PBC fascinate me. Should I stick with what I have or go to the PBC? Thx

PBC excels at chicken, brisket and ribs and frankly most other things as well. The drippings go directly onto the coals beneath the meat giving a flavor profile somewhat different than from an offset smoker where the coals are not directly below the fire. Most folks I know love that special taste.

Comment

I cannot speak for your other cookers. As a multi-year PBC owner I can tell you for sure it is a rib and poultry cooking machine. Large cooks, small cooks, does not matter. Only cooker I use for ribs and poultry and it never disappoints me.

Comment

What they said.

Comment

DDP I personally would start cooking ribs on your PK and on your Traeger, to get an idea of how they are on charcoal versus pellets. Perfect the Last Meal Ribs on both those cookers, THEN venture out into new territory.

Comment

<¢2>
            My thoughts (shaddup ) are; If'n yer wantin to make ribs 'fer 10 or more', I wouldn't wanna do that on yer current cookers...

Not sayin it's impossible, but it seems, ime, to be self flagellation...

If'n that's yer target, by all means, git yerself a PBC, an learn it well...that's th easiest, an cheapest path to what yer wantin to do, as I see it...

There are many other paths, but they involve substantially more money....

Given yer situation, an requirements, onliest other (viable) option fer down cheapish would be a WSM, which is actually more versatile than a PBC.

</¢2>

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	8222AB0D-D409-43EA-8975-1CA2B007B186.jpeg
Views:	272
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	896560Click image for larger version

Name:	C244D157-17DE-43FB-8128-BDCF8D526D10.jpeg
Views:	286
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	896559 PBC, PBC, PBC!
              Last edited by HawkerXP; August 15, 2020, 08:41 AM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Nee-Ice lookin BBR's, Brother!!! :cool;

Papa Bravo Charlie, times thuh-ree, Brother!

Ahm'a holdin out, til somebody sends me one (PBC) to test, lol.

If'n THAT ever happens , I Suwannee I'll dang dang certain put one through some serious scrutiny, Trials, an Tribulations LOL!
                Last edited by Mr. Bones; August 15, 2020, 12:55 PM.

3 racks of BBs with extra loin meat are ready in my PBCjr in about 3.5 hours. If you're going to load up a full size PBC account for a little more cook time. Some people here double hook ribs but I've only joined the PBC Meat Drop Clublâ„¢ when I wasn't paying attention and cooked them longer than needed. I look for pull back on the bones.

KBB for fuel and a chunk of hickory or mesquite about half the size of your fist for a little bit of added smoke. I stopped probing cooker temps and just let the PBC do its thing some time ago.

The MMD on the free side is the rub, the fan favorite for the sauce in the last 30 minutes is Huskee 's Orange Jalapeno Shawsh and mine is a vinegar mop sauce like the Lexington Dip on the free side here.

Comment

• Arsenlael
                Arsenlael commented
                Editing a comment
                PBC Meat Drop Clubâ„¢

Hilarious N227GB. Been there.

Cookin fer 10, Ol Bonesy pretty much summed it up. With the PBC there will be no xperimentin just doin. Rub em, hang em & eat em! As was said, it’s a Wib & chickie mochine!

Comment

Ok, I’ll give my 2¢. One of the things the PBC (or Papa-Bravo-Charlie if you’re so inclined) does well is ribs. I have a PBJ (the Juliette model), and it does well with most of the things I’ve tried. Can’t go wrong with PBC.

Comment

I agree with everything the above folks have said. If you need to cook for several folks then the PBC will do you an awesome job. IMO it gives you a very different flavor then the current cookers you have. I love my PBC, it’s a rib and chicken cooking machine.
                  I think I’ve cooked 8 racks at once and could have done 10 but that would be pushing it.

Comment

As a member of this site, it is my solemn duty to encourage your MCS and tell you to buy a PBC.

This cooker does great ribs. And can handle the volume that you want.
                    I bet you'll be happy with the PBC.

Comment

Or, ya could just git a PBC...

Comment

• FireMan
                        FireMan commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Uh, yeah. 💪

Thank you for all the great suggestions. I am impressed by the rave reviews of the PBC.

Comment

It lives up to its reputation

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here