Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First pork butts on the PBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First pork butts on the PBC

Hello all, I have had my PBC for about a year, Loving the way it turns out ribs, did a brisket for the first time on it couple weeks ago, now I've got 2 10lbs~ bone in pork butts that I going to try in it this time instead of my backwoods smoker(It's starting to get lonely).

Now with my BWS I've got it dialed in with butts. I usually load it up with 40 lbs let it run overnight, refill fuel and water in the morning then just let them do thier own thing. They take anywhere between 13 and 16 hours for the most part. No crutch.

Since I only have 20lbs this time I figure why not try out the PBC , no crutch( Love the bark)

They question I have after seeing the time to cook on other meats is, Will I still be ok leaving them over night? Or will they cook to fast for that long unattended?

Happy Smoking everyone.

At some point in time the stall may kill your fire. They could take 8-10 hours with no problems, but I would check on things. Nighttime is also filled with mucho humidity and that doesn't help much. I only made the mistake of letting things roll all night once. I now use a digital thermometer with alarms no matter what cooker I am using. I had ONE butt kill my fire, disaster barely averted.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
      At some point in time the stall may kill your fire.
      Is this from just too much drippings?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        All the moisture evaporating affects the fire. In an offset scenario your meat isn't directly above the coals.

I love the PBC and haven't had any issues with fire management except when I tried lump. Having said that, I always wrap the butts and at max I'm looking at an 8 hour cook that I start in the mornings. I would be more concerned with the meat falling off the hook, but maybe you're not worried about that due to the internal temp you're searching for? Either way, let us know how it works.

Comment

• BruceB
        BruceB commented
        Editing a comment
        Pork butts are one thing that goes on the cooking grill in the PBC. I have had too many end up in the charcoal basket, mostly after the stall. I went to transferring them to the grill after the stall, finally just do them on the grill from the start. Turn once for even bark.

So for pork butt, I chunk it into 4 ish lb sections to get more bark, and cook a little quicker.

I hang them the whole smoke, but I use the T shaped skewers so they can't fall off.
      ​​​​​​
      If you cut 20 lbs into 5 chunks I wouldn't expect it to take 10 hrs. Start early in the morning and don't worry about over night

Just my 2 cents

Just looked at my last cook. I had a 13 lb PB cut into thirds. PBC ran at 250 deg.
      Put the meat on at 730 am and was done by 2pm, then rested in the cooler for an hour.
      Couldn't have come out better
      ​​
      ​​​​

​​​​
      Last edited by BFlynn; August 14, 2020, 02:34 PM.

Comment

That was my second thought.
        Cut each 10lb in half (which I do when I use the BWS for more bark). As long as I can hang with the grate under I will. If not I may just go straight to the grill.

I was just iffy on the cook time. I've always overnight my butts whether it be on the BWS or back when I used my Weber Kettle.
        Worst case scenario is the family is waiting on supper. But as the saying goes "never make the meat wait for company make the company wait for the meat".

I'll try to make sure I post my results as I go. The thought is always there but the wobbly pops are usually flowing fairly good by the end, and I forget to get pics. lol

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          I've run plenty butts the whole way hanging. You've got tie them down. I've done three at a time many times.

I cut the 2. 10lbs butts in half this morning to start a dry brine. ( was going to do that last night but the couch got me after a long day at work).

Got a little OCD as I was getting the basket ready for tomorrow morning using Kingsford Pro briquettes. Also I got my Golden ticket opening the bag so this must be a sign that tomorrow’s cook will be great😀

Attached Files

Comment

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice pull of the strip. You musta had yer wrist at perfect 17degree, if ya have it cocked at 16 or 18 it just won’t happen.

Looks like you're all set! Good luck with the cook.

Comment

Looks good. I've never been able to tear off the strip like that. You're right, it must be a good omen.

Depending on where you live, putting the charcoal in the basket in the barrel the night before might be a problem, especially if the humidity is high. It can be more difficult to get it lit or keep it burning steadily. For that reason, I always store my charcoal in a large sealed Rubbermaid tub and load it in the basket just before I want to use it.

Kathryn

Comment

Rubbed with MMD and going in!
            Attached Files

Comment

Here they are at about 5 hrs in at a stall
              Jerod Broussard yes had to save the fire a couple times thanks for the heads up.
              Attached Files

Comment

First one is done 7hr 51min now wrapped and placed in the cooler
                Attached Files

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Pork Nuggets Yum!!!

U done real good

Comment

Looks like a great success

Comment

Couple more pics and the finally product. Will write up the final results later
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                      Mr. Bones commented
                      Editing a comment
                      So far, I'm All In, Brother!

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here