Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Second time BBR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Second time BBR

Second time doing ribs on the PBC this time I dry brine for 2 hrs before cooking, got all the ingredients for meatheads Memphis dust, place a layer of rub on it and on the PBC they went, I open up the lower vent as recommended for my altitude and let it rip, they cooked at around 275-280 for 4hrs and added some applewood but forgot to add the second round of wood. I liked the bark and how they slip out the bone with a small tug. I liked how this tibs came out better than my first time, only thing I would change is add some more rub.
    Attached Files

I would say yes to more rub but they look marvelous! PBC, PBC, PBC!

Comment

To me ribs are like pizza from the point that everyone has their own idea what is the perfect pizza or in this case the perfect rack of ribs. So the bottom line is what do you like? Make them the way YOU like them. But these look as good as any I’ve ever made. Nicely done.

Comment

• Alphatrex
        Alphatrex commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree.

Great Lookin wibs, amigo!

Nice Job, keep up th good work!

Comment

• Alphatrex
        Alphatrex commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks

The PBC is a real rib machine ! Yup, maybe a bit more rub, but it looks like you got the double hook thing figured out. Not good finding half your rack of ribs lying on top of the charcoal basket !

Comment

• Alphatrex
        Alphatrex commented
        Editing a comment
        Before I purchase it, I watch many photos of the ribs on the bottom of the barrel so I always use a minimum of 2 hooks for everything .

Now you've done it. I need some wibs!!! Those look mighty fine.

Comment

Those look like mighty fine ribs!

Great Job!!

And if you liked the smoke profile, then I wouldn't use anymore wood than you did.

Comment

• Alphatrex
          Alphatrex commented
          Editing a comment
          Yea I liked the smoke it had, I may do just a bit more next time but it was good and smokey enough

I just can't add to another man's ribs that would make me ask for seconds and thirds, and you've done at least that. I'm going to try a full rack split in half tomorrow, and done in a rectangular custom grill. St Lou style cut. If I get anything close to what you have here, I've over-achieved.

Those are really meaty. I never really know looking at pics - baby backs versus trimmed spares. St Lou style is trimmed meaty spares. Where'd / how'd you go about getting those? That would be helpful info for me...

I'll setup two zones with a water bath under the ribs tomorrow - I don't have a PBC yet but plan on building my own.

Click image for larger version

Name:	KitchenAid Upgraded.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	896052

Comment

• Alphatrex
          Alphatrex commented
          Editing a comment
          Ribs that I cooked her I got at a local family own butcher, they always have them looking like this. Good luck on your cook, keep us updated.

What's the question? How do you get St Louis cut ribs?
        Or where you get meaty baby back ribs?

I'll just answer what I think your questions are.

When I buy baby backs - they moslty run from 2.5-3ish lbs. Lately I've been seeing "meatier" ones running 3.5 even 4 lbs!
        What they're doing is leaving more loin meat on the ribs. The loin meat can get dry.
        If I buy baby backs, I try to get them close to 2.5lbs

For St Louis cut I compare prices at the grocery to decide if I'm buying full spares and cutting them, or buying St Louis cut.
        Today, SLCs were $4/lb meanwhile full spares were $2/lb. So I'd get the full spares and cut them into SLCs. There's lot of good videos to show you how.
        I've also gone into the store and seen SLCs in sale and cost less than full spares. Then I but the pre cut SLCs.

As far as where to get them, I get them from my Kroger or HEB. They both have a "natural" labeled pork ribs. I think the HEB SLCs are a little better.

If you go to a real butcher shop you can get heritage breeds...... But that's pretty high cotton for this ol boy.

A 2 zone set up with a water pan, and foil packets of wood chips works pretty well. I've done tons that way for a long time.
        ​​​​​
        ​​​​​
        ​​​
        Last edited by BFlynn; August 14, 2020, 12:09 AM.

Comment

They look great! Nicely done.

Comment

Look good! Makes me hungry! Thank goodness I got 3 racks of St. Louis spares at Costco a couple of days ago.
            P. S. Those look like baby backs to me based on the shape and size.
            P. P. S. Can’t use too much rub for me!

Comment

Man those look good.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here