Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time trying my hand at a Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alabama Smoke
    commented on 's reply
    I hope so too Joetee. Thanks for your comment.

• Joetee
    replied
    I prefer to have more temperature control. I don't want to fight to keep it at 225.
    That's why I chose a different direction over the PBC. I'm sure it's a great smoker which many people acclaim.
    I hope the gasket solves all your problems.

Oh yeah, I learned that with the Weber kettle after a good cleaning it also gave me a little trouble. So know I leave some ash behind.

Leave a comment:

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    I don't let the lack of company keep me from doing larger cooks - it just means we eat leftovers for a lot more days, or I portion it out and put BBQ in vacuum bags in the freezer...

• Alabama Smoke
    replied
    fzxdoc I am pulling for you to be right Kathryn! And I expect that you are indeed. Have not been doing large cooks and no big friend and family events due to the virus so have not used PBC much this year. But I do want to see what the gasket does so I will likely use it soon even if the JJ could have handled the job. Worth a little wasted charcoal to see.

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    You'll see the difference immediately with that gasket, Tom. 300 plus deg is great for poultry, but a pain for cooking much else. The thing about the simplicity of the PBC is that there are not a lot of vents to tweak to offset a problem that can be easily fixed with a gasket. Or a temperature controller. To my mind that's a good thing because you go to the source of the problem for the fix.

Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; August 11, 2020, 06:45 AM.

• Alabama Smoke
    replied
    jfmorris Jim, naw.....you'd have to spritz with a water hose to put that inferno out especially if its fully loaded with coals. Mine got to running too hot to suit me. With intake vent as closed as the design would allow, I'd be running 300F to 315F, and that was with a fully gunked up lid, etc. I recently cleaned all that miss up, scrubbed and "brillowed" until I could literally rub the lid area that seats with the barrel with isopropyl alcohol and the pad would come away clean looking. Then installed a BBQ gasket. Haven't had a large enough cook since to fire the barrel up (been using the Jumbo Joe for the two of us) but am hoping to be back down in the 265F to 300F range I used to get. We shall see........Tom

Leave a comment:

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    Ah - I missed that he was spritzing, or I would have said no to that as well, haha. Spritzing in a PBC would also seem like a good way to put out coals...

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    FWIW, Lipavi makes some great sous vide containers. Sold on Amazon. I have the Lipavi C10 (3 gallon) and the C20 (6.5 gallon) with the lids. Along with my stock pots, I've pretty much got everything covered. The big one is great for lots of steaks, chuck roasts, or brisket.

K.
    Last edited by fzxdoc; August 10, 2020, 06:40 AM.

• fzxdoc
    replied
    What jfmorris and HawkerXP said. Also, the PBC cooking environment is already so moist that there is no need to spritz. It just washes off the rub.

In general, PBCs don't like running at 225°. Let yours do its thing at 250-280° or so, wrap after the meat reaches 170°, cambro for a couple of hours, and you'll have one tasty brisket with lots of barky deliciousness.

Inching one's way up the learning curve is part of the fun of BBQ. Your next brisket will be great, I predict.

Kathryn

Leave a comment:

• zzdocxx
    replied
    Me too, going to attempt my first one in the next week or so.

I don't think my SV container is big enough for the whole thing, I was thinking about that medium rare thing that troutmant did.

I saw another guy at some bbq place showing how he trims the deckle fat out of there till the whole thing is more of a uniform thickness and therefore cooks more evenly. Maybe I can find a link . . . actually not sure I understood it properly but it seemed like he was dissecting in between the layers. I haven't seen this in any other videos, any comments ?

I like how some of the vids show that you shouldn't leave any corners sticking out that could get dried out, the perfect trim makes it look like sort of an oval shape.

Leave a comment:

• Alphatrex
    replied
    Thank you guys, knew this was the place to learn how to properly cook a brisket will definitely be keeping all the tips handy next time.

Leave a comment:

• BFlynn
    commented on 's reply
    This!!

Holding in the cooler is clutch

• Alabama Smoke
    replied
    Exactly as jfmorris told you. You will be rewarded with a great hunk of meat!

Leave a comment:

• Joetee
    commented on 's reply
    I like your avatar

• Joetee
    commented on 's reply
    I smoke mine at around 225-235° grill temp. I tried one at 275° and though the meat inside was great, the edges and some of the flat was a little dry. Maybe because I didn't sprits it at all. I have a hard time baby setting it so the 225 works as little better for my style of grilling.
    I beginning to think it all depends on your smoker type.
    Also I smoke mine fat side up.
    But at 225 it takes as lot longer. I done a 22 pounder that took about 16 hours. I had to start that one at 10pm.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here