Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time trying my hand at a Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time trying my hand at a Brisket

So tomorrow I am going to cook this bad boy I preseason with PBC beef & game seasoning because I have it and want to use it so I can start buying some real rubs, using a small amount of lemon juice as a binder, I am following Kent Rolling video. Question is there something else I should know? I see the Brisket as the holy grail and I don't want to mess it up.
    Attached Files

Let her bark up to some nice blackness on both sides before you wrap.

Comment

Looks like ya got this, amigo...

If'n yer followin Cowboy Kent Rollin's trail, ya cain't be too awful far from right...

Ditto on th Blackness of yer bark; w/o that, ya mighta jus as well plopped it in th oven, or crockpot...
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; August 8, 2020, 05:29 AM.

Comment

Just relax and enjoy the cook. You got this.

Comment

Good luck on the cook. You got this...

Comment

please document with pictures, and post. I wonder how much of his videos are for show.
            do like his dog, and his Pineapple up-side-down cake in a dutch oven.

Comment

• Joetee
              Joetee commented
              Editing a comment
              I like your avatar

Texas style rub is just Coshire course salt and course black pepper equal parts. Quit a bit. It is still amazing taste without all the other rubs. Watch out for sugar and salt added to the seasoning you choose.
            also depending on what type bark you want, foil or paper for the wrap. I like butcher paper unwaxed.
            Last edited by Joetee; August 8, 2020, 10:32 AM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Ahm'a be lookin me on Amazon, fer summa that Coshire Salt, Brutha!
              Jus been usin Morton's Kosher, occasionally Himalayan Pink...Thinkin I probly need to branch out, mebbe diversify some.
              Last edited by Mr. Bones; August 8, 2020, 05:43 PM. Reason: s vs e

Assume you will hang in the PBC? How heavy a hunk? Let it go through the stall. If you like the color wrap or put in covered foil pan with a little beef broth. By this time the coals are about done so I'll put it in the oven to finish.
            Good luck!

Comment

• Alphatrex
              Alphatrex commented
              Editing a comment
              I did not hang it, it's about 9 pounds after the fat cap was trim.

So after 7 hrs is done, looks better beforwrappingng I am thinking too much moisture ruin the color of the bark. I want to get a dark bark so I need to work on this I had it on the no-fat side for 2 hrs around 240ish and 255ish. Flip it then another 2hrs, before wrapping and spraying some apple juice and cooking it for another 3 hrs. Also is not the meat tenderness I had but is good overall. I have to work on brisket that's for sure
            Attached Files

Comment

Brisket looks good. What was your internal temperature? Should have been about 195 to 205. How long did it cook for? Did you add smoke? What temp did you wrap it?

Comment

• Alphatrex
                Alphatrex commented
                Editing a comment
                When I wrap it was 147f, wrap it in foil, internal temperature wen done was 192, let it rest for 30 min because we were hungry lol, cokedr for a total of 7hrs

Ok now. Briskets usually take a lot longer than that. Usually need to be started around 3am on the grill. Probably around 170° when you wrap it. 203° when you remove it too rest.
              The meat is done at 160°. But if you want if tender, you need to wait until it's IT is about 195 to 203°.

Comment

• Alphatrex
                Alphatrex commented
                Editing a comment
                What temperature should the grill be at when placing the brisket? What temperature should I keep it at after brisket is on the grill?

• Joetee
                Joetee commented
                Editing a comment
                I smoke mine at around 225-235° grill temp. I tried one at 275° and though the meat inside was great, the edges and some of the flat was a little dry. Maybe because I didn't sprits it at all. I have a hard time baby setting it so the 225 works as little better for my style of grilling.
                I beginning to think it all depends on your smoker type.
                Also I smoke mine fat side up.
                But at 225 it takes as lot longer. I done a 22 pounder that took about 16 hours. I had to start that one at 10pm.

Next brisket give it 10 hours to cook and about 2 hours to hold afterwards, and don't wrap.

Comment

• Alphatrex
                Alphatrex commented
                Editing a comment
                What temperature should I cook at 10hrs?

• Jerod Broussard
                Jerod Broussard commented
                Editing a comment
                Alphatrex just let the barrel ride at 275-ish.

When it comes to Brisket I am a wrapper ( in foil ) love to get that au jus to pour over after slicing But don't wrap until 175-180 temp still get bark
              Last edited by jharner; August 8, 2020, 09:32 PM.

Comment

• Alphatrex
                Alphatrex commented
                Editing a comment
                Got it, I think that was my mistake to early

You asked about cooking temps. 225F is the temp many people swear by but it is not the only one to give good results. I cook at around 275F but there are many who swear that even hotter, say in the 300-350F range does just as well. I split the difference at 275 and It works great for me. As others have said, wait for a higher temp in the meat before wrapping. You will happier with the outside bark that way.

Comment

You are using a PBC let it go on its own with rebars in. Normally asperated (no fan) like to run around 270ish. 10 hours is about right for me also.

Comment

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here