Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time trying my hand at a Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jerod Broussard
    commented on 's reply
    Alphatrex just let the barrel ride at 275-ish.

• jfmorris
    replied
    Your brisket had little to no bark because you wrapped it way too early. If I wrap a brisket, I don't do it until the meat in the thickest part of the flat is around 170F or so. You wrapped really before the stall, or right when it started, and you also pulled the brisket before it was done - that is why it was not as tender or juicy as you hoped for.

With a PBC do not worry with monitoring the pit temperature - just monitor the meat. Again, with a brisket, put your temp probe in the thickest part of the flat, avoiding the deckle - the fat layer between point and flat - and don't worry about the temp of the point - it has a high fat content and can take higher done temperatures than the flat can. The brisket is done when the flat reaches somewhere between 195 and 205. Most of mine, USDA Prime briskets, get taken to 205, as they are not yet probe tender at 195.

It is also important for a brisket to wrap and hold in faux cambro for 1-2 hours before serving. Doing this tends to lead to a much more tender and juicy result.

Your bark should look as good or better than the brisket below, if you wait until 170 or so to wrap (that's when I wrapped this one). PBC brisket should have really great bark.

Another tip - on the PBC, if cooking on the grate, put fat side down. You want the fat cap towards the heat source.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8977.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.32 MB ID:	893614
    Last edited by jfmorris; August 9, 2020, 11:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    This!

• HawkerXP
    replied
    You are using a PBC let it go on its own with rebars in. Normally asperated (no fan) like to run around 270ish. 10 hours is about right for me also.

Leave a comment:

• Donw
    replied
    You asked about cooking temps. 225F is the temp many people swear by but it is not the only one to give good results. I cook at around 275F but there are many who swear that even hotter, say in the 300-350F range does just as well. I split the difference at 275 and It works great for me. As others have said, wait for a higher temp in the meat before wrapping. You will happier with the outside bark that way.

Leave a comment:

• Alphatrex
    commented on 's reply
    Got it, I think that was my mistake to early

• Alphatrex
    commented on 's reply
    What temperature should I cook at 10hrs?

• Alphatrex
    commented on 's reply
    What temperature should the grill be at when placing the brisket? What temperature should I keep it at after brisket is on the grill?

• jharner
    replied
    When it comes to Brisket I am a wrapper ( in foil ) love to get that au jus to pour over after slicing But don't wrap until 175-180 temp still get bark
    Last edited by jharner; August 8, 2020, 09:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    Next brisket give it 10 hours to cook and about 2 hours to hold afterwards, and don't wrap.

Leave a comment:

• Joetee
    replied
    Ok now. Briskets usually take a lot longer than that. Usually need to be started around 3am on the grill. Probably around 170° when you wrap it. 203° when you remove it too rest.
    The meat is done at 160°. But if you want if tender, you need to wait until it's IT is about 195 to 203°.

Leave a comment:

• Alphatrex
    commented on 's reply
    When I wrap it was 147f, wrap it in foil, internal temperature wen done was 192, let it rest for 30 min because we were hungry lol, cokedr for a total of 7hrs

• Joetee
    replied
    Brisket looks good. What was your internal temperature? Should have been about 195 to 205. How long did it cook for? Did you add smoke? What temp did you wrap it?

Leave a comment:

• Alphatrex
    replied
    So after 7 hrs is done, looks better beforwrappingng I am thinking too much moisture ruin the color of the bark. I want to get a dark bark so I need to work on this I had it on the no-fat side for 2 hrs around 240ish and 255ish. Flip it then another 2hrs, before wrapping and spraying some apple juice and cooking it for another 3 hrs. Also is not the meat tenderness I had but is good overall. I have to work on brisket that's for sure
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Alphatrex
    commented on 's reply
    I did not hang it, it's about 9 pounds after the fat cap was trim.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here