Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PBC Bacon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PBC Bacon

Click image for larger version

Name:	A5DABBFA-BA82-4C09-916F-142586B98C7C.jpeg
Views:	311
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	892607Click image for larger version

Name:	11CF4892-8697-40BF-8135-F993C6616C69.jpeg
Views:	322
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	892606Click image for larger version

Name:	C9694F46-7842-4480-9CA8-F2785951B1D1.jpeg
Views:	342
Size:	257.1 KB
ID:	892605 My first attempt at bacon! Took less than an hour on my PBC with apple smoke wood. It be wrapped and chillin’ right now.

You going to love eating that. Good job Sir. What recipe did you use.

Comment

Meathead’s!

Comment

• kill2grill
        kill2grill commented
        Editing a comment
        So you cured it?

Congrats mate, you will never go back to buying bland store bought bacon again. Been making my own for around two years now and loving it. I have found that leaving it in the fridge for 3-4 days before eating it seems to work best, lets the smoke mellow into the meat. Wrap it in paper towel and foil, changing the paper towel once it looks a bit moist & it will keep for at least 4 weeks in the fridge. That's if it lasts that long haha

Comment

Thanks mate! Always open for more info.

G’day!

Comment

I need to get in on the bacon wagon. Maybe this winter.

Comment

Me too Jerod Broussard. I have never tried this. Perhaps because I was once at a very high end restaurant that offered pork belly for a starter prior to my main course. The waiter recommended it so I ordered it and for $20 and was brought the grossest fattest, (and I mean no lean at all) half cooked piece of s**t I have ever seen and expected me to eat it. Been reading about making bacon recently though and have seen it done here, so I think I am about ready to give it a go.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Jerod Broussard commented
              Editing a comment
              Sorry for your experience, but I did get a good laugh. I've done pork belly burnt ends, but have seen Gordon Ramsay cook a belly and it didn't look too appetizing, lotta pale meat begging for Maillard.

• holehogg
              holehogg commented
              Editing a comment
              ? Made any yet. If you enjoy bacon you got to make homemade.

Need to get on board my ownself. I read a post somewhere on here this week about makin’ bacon, looked up Meathead’s recipe. I’m like y’all, it’s always looked like undercooked fat to me. Gotta try it though after this post and the other one.

Comment

So, you didn't hang it...did you flip it during the cook? Smoked to 150 degrees?

Comment

I did not hang it nor flip it, 150 degrees is correct. Used apple wood this time, trying maple on next slab.

Comment

• holehogg
                  holehogg commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Make the maple syrup bacon. It's so good.

• BigCountryQ
                  BigCountryQ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Also try it with Molasses instead of maple. I think it's even better! The molasses takes on a richer smoke profile in my opinion.

Originally posted by webwolff View Post
                I did not hang it nor flip it, 150 degrees is correct. Used apple wood this time, trying maple on next slab.
                I use Mesquite mate, bacon likes a lot of heavy smoke imo

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here