Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Butt on PBJ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Butt on PBJ

I smoked a pork butt yesterday that turned out really good. I thought fzxdoc might want to put it in the reference for cooking times, etc.
    6.45#, Lambert’s Sweet Rub ‘o Mine, 4 chunks of pecan on my very precise stacking of Weber charcoal. I smoked it on the grate with both rebars, fat side down, 5 hours to ~203°.
    I made it for neighbors who had a death in the family, but it was really good as I picked at it while pulling. Great bark, helped by the rub which lists the first ingredient as cane sugar.
    Sorry I forgot to take pics, apologies to the pic police.
    Hope this might help a PBJ user along the way.

Nice neighbor! Thanks!

Comment

Thanks for the information, Soonerpop . I will indeed add it to the PBC Cook Times sticky. A couple of questions:

1. What was the temp of your PBJ throughout the cook, on average?
      2. Did you wrap the PB during the cook, and if so, at what internal temp?
      3. Did you faux-cambro the PB, and if so, how long?

What a thoughtful thing to do for your neighbors. I bet they were really touched by your generosity.

Kathryn

Comment

• Soonerpop
        Soonerpop commented
        Editing a comment
        1. I don’t monitor the PBJ temp. I decided to let ‘er buck and do it’s thing early on after reading a lot here.
        2. Didn’t wrap this time in the interest of more bark. It worked. (I hardly ever wrap pork butts, though.)
        3. Didn’t cambro either, needed to get it to the neighbors while they were there and in time for dinner. So I pulled it and added a little Head Country sauce (from Ponca City!) and delivered it.
        Lot of negatives there, but it was yummy! Got great reviews on texts from neighbors

• BFlynn
        BFlynn commented
        Editing a comment
        Doesn't sound like any negatives to me

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks again, Soonerpop . I added the info on your PB cook on the PBJ.

Kathryn

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here