Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recipes for bacon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recipes for bacon

Does anyone have any recipes or methods for making bacon on the PBC? Mine is unmodded so I’m looking for traditional method/temperature recipes if possible. Thanks in advance!

Subed, I'd like to find a recipe that doesn't call for the pink curing salt.

Comment

This is the bacon I prefer. It is from Kent Rawlings Cowboy Cooking. I've never done it in my PBC but I don't see why it would be an issue.
      I like to slice it a little thicker than the average thick cut bacon prior to curing. It allows for more surface area. Because I do this I modify the way I smoke it from the recipe but the general idea is here. If you do it my way Do not fry it. With the sugar content it will burn. Bake or smoke it at 350* on a baking rack until cooked to your liking instead.

Prep Time 10 minutes
      Total Time 3 days 6 hours 10 minutesIngredients
      • 3 to 4 pound uncured pork belly skin off
      • â…“ cup kosher salt
      • ¼ cup apple sauce
      • 2 cups packed light brown sugar
      • ½ cup maple syrup
      • 4 tablespoons coarse ground black pepper
      • 2 tablespoons Red River Ranch Mesquite seasoning or favorite pork rub.
      • ¼ cup warm water
      Instructions
      1. Trim excess fat from the pork belly. You can keep or trim off as much as desired.
      2. Place the pork on a flat baking sheet.
      3. Place the remaining ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk well.
      4. Pour half the marinade over the top side of the pork and rub all over with a spatula. Flip the pork over and repeat with the remaining marinade.
      5. Cover and place in the icebox for 3 days. After 1 ½ days, flip the pork over, recover for the remaining 1 ½ days.
      6. Remove the pork from the icebox and rinse all the marinade off.
      7. Place the pork on the counter for about 45 minutes before smoking to let it warm.
      8. Place two large handfuls of hardwood lump charcoal in a smoker on one side of the grate. Light the charcoal and when it turns white add 5 to 6 large pieces of chunked apple wood.
      9. When the applewoods catches fire, close the air vents and place the pork on the indirect heat side of the smoker. Shut the lid and cook for 1 hour.
      10. Flip the bacon over and cook for about 1 ½ hour or until the internal temp is 145 to 150 degrees F.
      11. Remove the pork from smoker and place on a wire rack on a baking sheet and let cool for about 1 hour.
      12. Cover and set the pork in the icebox overnight before cooking up to eat.
      Last edited by hogdog6; August 4, 2020, 10:28 PM.

Comment

I've made Meathead's recipe many times, mostly the Maple Bacon version. This is a "hot" smoke.
        I usually cook it on my WSM but I don't see why you couldn't use PBC, it works great at any temp between 225-275.

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...ked-bacon-home

If you use the calculator correctly, the amount of pink salt (PP #2) is relatively small compared to the other ingredients. I use a .1 gram scale to weigh my pink salt (and also salt/yeast for baking)

Comment

I have used Meathead's Maple Bacon Recipe and Hot Smoked it in the PBC with very good success.

Comment

• shify
            shify commented
            Editing a comment
            Same. Meatheads recipe works great on PBC. I use the standard cure and then play around with spices, both in the cure and on top of the pork belly, when smoking. Just ignore the smoker temp guidance and cook the pork belly until it hits 150

Bacon on the PBC is great-- like others, I use Meathead's recipe.

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here