Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Pot Roast on the PBC -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Pot Roast on the PBC -

Tried something new this week. Select Chuck Roast was on sale for $2.49 a lb, so I ordered one with the grocery pick up.
    Always sketchy to let someone else pick your meat, but we're limiting store trips as much as possible.

It looked fine, but not as well marbled as I'd want to smoke, but fine for a crock pot. Pot roast in the crock pot was a pretty regular stable at the house until I got the PBC...... so I attempted a hybrid approach and used the dutch oven.

First, trimmed and seasoned the chuckie. 1 layer of POG and 1 layer of Santa Maria rub.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	788
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	889211

Prepped the dutch oven with carrots and onions and set aside.

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	555
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	889212

Got the PBC up to 250 and smoked the chuckie on the grate.

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	889213

After 2 hours.....

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	577
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	889214

Bark was better on the under side. Flipped it over, put in the dutch oven, and added liquids.
    I think whatever liquid you'd normally use for a pot roast will be fine. I used a can of Golden Mushroom soup, and some beef stock.

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	889215

Left dutch oven uncovered for 3 hours. Bark got decent above the liquid level.

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	595
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	889216
    Added potatoes to the rack.

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	591
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	889217

Put the lid on the dutch oven and smoked another 3 hrs. 8 hrs total cook time. It pretty much held at IT 205 for the last hour of the cook.

Finished pot roast was super tender - would pull just by twisting a fork.

Name:	8.5.jpg
Views:	557
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	889218

Finished product was delicious. Taste profile is between a traditional pot roast and a brisket. Good smoke on the meat. Got decent bark above the liquid level. Wife doesn't really care about bark. Small smoke ring.
    Texture was that of any pot roast you'd do in the oven, but with bark on one side.

This will probably be my go to method for select chuckies that aren't well marbled. I'm sure would be better with a better piece of meat. Might hang the chuckie for the first 2 hours next time for bark all around.
    If I had a bigger dutch oven, I'd put the potatoes in the pot as well, instead of on the grate.

I can also see using this approach for venison and game roasts bc it gets a decent smoke profile, but still keeps the meat from drying out.

That looks amazing!!!! Totally going to try this.

Comment

Sounds good. I'm going to pin this and give it a shot when it isn't 117 degrees here!

Comment

• BFlynn
        BFlynn commented
        Editing a comment
        When it's that hot out, you don't even need to put charcoal in the smoker.

• Alabama Smoke
        Alabama Smoke commented
        Editing a comment
        Parkin, please tell you you "pin" a post. It would be extremely useful to me to be able to find certain posts at a later date.

• Parkin
        Parkin commented
        Editing a comment
        Alabama Smoke, I just follow the thread using the button above. "Pin" being slang I picked up from my kids!

Geezey weezey that looks awesome!!

Except for that first picture where it looks like you dumped a truckload of sand onto the meat.

Comment

• BFlynn
        BFlynn commented
        Editing a comment
        Do you NOT cover your meet in sand?
        I thought that was part of the process.

Damnit!

Neighbours sometimes laugh at me for cooking practically anything outside. That delicious looking pot roast proves the point perfectly!

Comment

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        I also. They are just jealous.

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        My neighbors too .... I just point out to them that until 100 years, everything was cooked over live fire

PBC!

Comment

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        . . .

Looks great BFlynn! I have cooked several pot roasts similarly in the past few months. I smoke the roast on the PBC grate about an hour and a half, then transfer it to aluminum roasting pan, add whatever potatoes, carrots, onions, seasonings, etc...whatever you like, etc. cover and cook until probe tender. Will take several hours unless the chucky is of great quality. They turn out immensely better than from a crock pot. I think the next one I do will be in my 5 qt Dutch oven as I think I can likely get more veggies into it than the roasting pan, plus I like the taste of things cooked in that iron pot.

My first basically I copied from a U tube video on "Alabama Pot Roast" posted by Jaxx Drinkwater, a fellow PBC owner. It was absolutely the best pot roast I have ever tasted!! If interested you can view here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeHgGA808AQ. Jaxx is rather fun to listen to and he obviously can cook! I definitely recommend adding his U tube channel to your U tube subscription list.

Comment

• BFlynn
        BFlynn commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll check that out for sure!

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks fer postin, Brother!

I enjoyed th Ride....

Loves me both some good ol fashion pot roast, an smoked chuckie, so, if I can have both, That right there'd be my vote..
        Is this 'A Bad Thing' ????
        If so: [sorry][notsorry]
        [/notsorry] [/sorry]
        [lol]
        [/lol]
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; August 1, 2020, 08:34 AM.

• TripleB
        TripleB commented
        Editing a comment
        Good old fashion pot roast is the best, whether done on the Que or braised in the oven. Crock pots are the lazy way out, like pellet poopers. Gimme that old time tradition.

Thanks for that video link, Alabama Smoke . That pot roast looks delicious. Is it super spicy with those Marzetti hot cherry pepper rings? I love hot peppers, but hubby, not so much.

I clicked on the link below the video and it took me to this recipe page for the Alabama Pot Roast. It doesn't describe using the PBC for it, (Pressure Cooker/Crock Pot cook times instead) but at least I can get the gist well enough to download the recipe into my Paprika app and then edit it a bit with the PBC cook times, basically 1.5 hours smoke, 2 hours in covered pan with potatoes and carrots.

Forget Mississippi pot roast. In walks Alabama pot roast. It's zestier, more beautiful, and makes your taste buds cheer Roll Tide!

Thanks again,
      Kathryn

Comment

BFlynn , your pot roast looks delicious. I second your thought to hang the chuckie next time for its 2 hour smokefest. So basically your times were

2 hours smoke
        3 hours in dutch oven, uncovered
        3 hours in dutch oven, covered, to 205Ā° internal temp and hold it there for the last hour or so.

I think I got that right?

I've got a couple of chuckies in the freezer. I'd like to combine your method with the Alabama Pot Roast recipe suggested by Alabama Smoke and see what happens. I don't usually use packaged spice mixes in my cooking, but I always like making a recipe as written the first time around and then tweak as needed if we like the results.

Thanks,
        Kathryn

Comment

• BFlynn
          BFlynn commented
          Editing a comment
          Exactly right on the timing.

It may not need to hit a certain temp or hold there.
          My basic was thought was 'it takes 8 hrs in the crock pot, I'll cook it for 8 hrs in the PBC".
          Just observing what the temp was.

fzxdoc , Thanks for those comments. I had never seen the recipe written down before as I had not seen the reference you mentioned. I got it the hard way by taking notes during his Ala pot roast video I referenced.

As to your question on the hot cherry peppers. Carol accidentally picked up sweet cherry peppers rather than the hot cherry peppers and we substituted those instead. In fact in the article you referenced, he mentioned somewhere that substituting sweet cherry peppers for the hot was still delicious, the difference being the spicy heat. Next time we cook this we might substitute some of each to get some mild heat, but frankly we thought it was plenty good using the sweet peppers.

The cooking time Jaxx mentioned in the video did not work for me.....I found that mine took more time by maybe 2 hrs. I guess his meat was a better grade. I simply roast it covered and don't worry about internal temps too much. I go with "probe tender" and cook it until it feels like sticking a probe into room temp butter. I will never forget Carol's facial expression after she tasted that first one I did and this retired chef looked me in the eye and told me that was likely the best thing she had ever tasted! I am sure she was being somewhat generous in her comment but it still made my year!

Regardless, if anyone makes this recipe and does not like it, just send it on to me and we will dispose of it for you!

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the additional info, Alabama Smoke . If it impressed your wife who's a Chef, I'm sure it will be great for us too.

Kathryn

BFlynn, I sure hope I am not being guilty of hijacking your thread here. I did want to share my pot roast recipe with you and it may have gotten away from me. My apologies to you if I goofed here.

Comment

• BFlynn
          BFlynn commented
          Editing a comment
          Exactly the opposite!
          Glad for the insight and discussion, and now I have new variations to try.

That's why I posted.

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Many Thanks fer sharin, Brother...

Wow, looks delicious. Great job.

Comment

Ok,,,Iā€™m hungry for a pot roast like that šŸ‘šŸ‘šŸ‘šŸ‘

Comment

Oh yeah I can't wait to try this recipe! Now i'm off to buy a bigger dutch oven

Comment

Got some chucks in the fridge overnight Iā€™m planning on doing a hybrid cook like this. The Alabama roast he went straight to covered for 2 hours after smoking and seemed to turn out good. . It seems here people did uncovered for 3 and then another 3 covered. I am trying to figure out my timing a bit and if the uncovered cook adds that much more to the finished product? Why the time variance? Suggestions? I can plan for either.
              Last edited by ByTor; September 26, 2020, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here