Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$10 compact chimney is the best accessory for my PBC I've purchased

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$10 compact chimney is the best accessory for my PBC I've purchased

Best $10 I've spent in awhile.......

Compact chimney is the perfect size when dumping coals in the PBC. It's smaller size makes it easier to spread lit coals evenly in the basket without self incineration.

The PBC basket holds approx. 160 coals. The compact chimney holds 40 when filled completely. So, without ever having to handle to charcoals, I can use exactly a half basket and I can start exactly 40 coals as prescribed.

Yesterday, I used a half PBC basket (2 compact chimneys) to cook a rack of St. Louis cut ribs and when these were done I threw on a whole chicken....about 5 hours of cooking. The ribs held temp great around 280 or so......for the chicken, I had to pull a rebar and crack the lid to get and keep my temps around 300. I wouldn't reccomend this as I about short sided myself on coals.....all in all a good cook....and I learned something to. Charcoal is pretty cheap, so don't be ridiculous....I really had to tend to the cooker to get the chicken done.

Finally! I have been preaching about the PBC and compact chimney. LOL
    As for charcoal amount, I rarely use a full basket.

Comment

Originally posted by Ernest View Post
      Finally! I have been preaching about the PBC and compact chimney. LOL
      Amen Brother!

Comment

What's the make/model on the compact chimney? I've seen a bunch on Amazon but I would like to get the one you speak of. I've finally decided it's time to make pouring coals easier lol.

Comment

• TheBigLebowski
          TheBigLebowski commented
          Editing a comment
          Let me preface this story with the statement, in retrospect there were a lot more intelligent ways to do this.

I was using the big chimney and was trying to get some lit coals in the center of the PBC basket, of course it is to long so I tipped it up creating a more severe angle which, in turn, caused all my coals to come rushing out. Needless to say, embers started flying and some of said embers went up my shirt sleeve. The large size Weber-Stevens 7416 Rapid Fire Chimney Starter was rapidly tossed and the mother of all curse words came out of my mouth. I'm fine except for the chewing I took from my wife for dropping multiple F-bombs.

• pittkappasig
          pittkappasig commented
          Editing a comment
          lol. same here... actually am at the point where i dont even stick my arm in the pit with the large chimney, i just stand above and dump and then use tongs to get the coals that missed the basket into it... ordering this baby now, thanks!

pittkappasig here is the one I bought
        Get your charcoal glowing and ready to go in minutes with the Weber Compact Rapidfire Chimney Starter at The Home Depot

Comment

• billg71
          billg71 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the link, Amazon sellers want $25-30 for these plus shipping. There's one seller at $10.01 but he wants $25 for shipping!

I can wait a week to get it for for $11.65 including sales tax.

Thanks again,
          Bill

I don't like mine as much as my old cheap one, this one has a really open bottom which is great to get started, but I have had several go out on me. My old one had about 10-12 nickel sized holes in the bottom, did a good job of holding it all in.

Comment

No matter what size chimney you use, you risk burns going into the PBC to empty it. Leave the basket outside, dump coals in and distribute, then put basket into the PBC. Some use welder's gloves, some a rake, I have a handle from an old bucket that works great, with gloves, or make a simple tool by bending a hook in a metal strip, or even a wood stick with a metal hook. The latter two allow you to reach in, even with meat hanging, and rotate the basket 180 deg half way through the cook, and/or redistribute and knock coals around to goose up the heat near the end. I've generally used the small chimney, but I've found that 40 coals light better and quicker in the large chimney, full to the holes in the sides. I haven't tried to figure out why, but it works better. Buy a cheap 16" pizza pan at the restaurant supply store to set the basket on when outside the PBC for easy clean up. You can also make an ash pan out of one.

Comment

• mayapoppa
            mayapoppa commented
            Editing a comment
            One thing to be careful of if using a simple hook to move the grate... if the weight is not quite evenly distributed, and you pick it up with a hook in the middle of the handle, the basket can suddenly slide off to one side. Yipes! The width of a rake or similar helps avoid this.

Yes, I am speaking from experience!

• TheBigLebowski
            TheBigLebowski commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh man.....I never considered that.

• JPP
            JPP commented
            Editing a comment
            I use a rake... don't get goop on my shirts putting the basket into the barrel that way... (I'm a bit on the shorter side so I have to lean into the barrel if putting it in by hand). I have the large chimney too... so if I were to get a compact one, I'd get the "what for" from my boss.
            Last edited by JPP; June 11, 2015, 09:09 AM.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here