Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fireboard ambient temp on PBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fireboard ambient temp on PBC

Does anyone here use the original fireboard with their PBC - specifically for capturing ambient temp throughout your cook? I have been using one for a while but find the results to be incredibly variable. For instance, I've got a cook going on right now that started 45 minutes ago, briquettes are burning nice and hot and things are looking good inside, but the fireboard read out is telling me it is 143 degrees. I have the probe hanging off the rebar pretty close to the middle of the barrel, and I find it hard to believe the temp is that low. I did a cook last weekend with the same configuration and my temp started out in the high 200s...

Appreciate any insight!!!

Temps do vary inside during a cook but not that low. How close to the meat is the probe?

Comment

• Rustybaum
      Rustybaum commented
      Editing a comment
      Probe is halfway between the bottom of the meat and the basket. It's a 7lb pork butt.

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      That is a good size hunk of cold meat. Most certainly will effect temps. Tried moving probe?
      As you said below, just let the PBC do its thing. If I monitor temps its just to catch it going to high.

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      I usually hang probe at same hight as meat just about 3-4 inches away.

Try unplugging then plugging the probe back into the Fireboard. Resetting the connection might fix the problem.

Comment

• Rustybaum
      Rustybaum commented
      Editing a comment
      I tried that and it didn't work....

Temp went up to 230 but keeps fluctuating between 180 and 220. I'm not too worries about it since I trust the PBC to do its thing, but it would be nice to be able to track the temp. Wondering if there is an issue with the probe itself.

Comment

Have you checked the calibration on your probes? Stick 'em in boiling water and they should be very close to whatever the BP of water is at your elevation.

Comment

• Rustybaum
        Rustybaum commented
        Editing a comment
        I haven't done that, but I will! Great idea

When my Fireboard probe began reading wonky like that, it was the probe. The Fireboard folks replaced it at no charge.

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here