Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PBC accessories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PBC accessories

So I was looking around on the PBC website and I notice that they sell grill grates for the PBC. Has anybody tried these out? Do they work? or are they a waste of time/money?

We have created the versatile Pit Barrel Cooker as the original vertical drum smoker and charcoal grill. Get your barrel smoker and charcoal grill today.

For me, the best thing about using Grill Grates is the prevention of flareups. Second best is that they get super hot for searing.

I use them on my gasser and over my SnS on my kettles. Because of the PBC's design, flareups when grilling are not much of a concern unless you position the basket close to the grate. If you raise the basket, then Grill Grates might be a nice addition to prevent flareups.

As far as searing goes, I don't know how hot they get in the PBC. Others may address that.

All of this said, I don't own GGs for the PBC and have never used them, so take my comments with a grain of BBQ rub.

Kathryn

Comment

I'm in the same boat as fzxdoc never tried as I do my searing on my kettles.

HawkerXPdoc

Comment

I love my GrillGrates in the WSJ. I've never tried using them in the PBCjr, though. I'd be curious if the temp of the GGs could be at least 450 without raising the charcoal basket.

Comment

Well i'm bored so I will buy them and do the temperature test and report back worst comes to worst i can use them on another grill.

Comment

• cashelton
            cashelton commented
            Editing a comment
            That's the way to take one for the team!

Okay the grill grate test is done and the hottest I could get them was 395 degrees so I guess it's a fail to get to 500 degrees. That being said did cook a damn fine burger and I can't recommend highly enough the Flannery beef Kali burger blend! they gotta be 35 percent fat
          Attached Files

Comment

• pkadare
            pkadare commented
            Editing a comment
            If you're planning on doing a lot of grilling on your PBC, you might want to consider using the hooks to hang the charcoal basket from the rebars and then putting the grate over the rebars.

• BFlynn
            BFlynn commented
            Editing a comment
            After hanging the charcoal basket from the rebar and somehow NOT burning my arm off..... I think the better solution is to elevate it with a cinder block or something

Ha yeah the cinder block thing sounds like a better idea for someone with my skill set!

Comment

Scott Wat I easily get my PBC to 475 and upwards and I expect you can too. I did not notice what charcoal you are using but Kingsford Professional briquets burn hotter than the original, plus both rebars out plus cracking the lid about a quarter inch will do it for me and I expect it will for you as well. I do not adjust my intake. I leave it at one quarter open as I am at approx. 670' above sea level. Try that...I expect you will have no trouble. Let us know how that works out for you!

Comment

I use them on my PK orginal and my Weber gasser....i do have a barrell house cooker that i have not thought about useing them on it...may give it a go...i just added a Masterbuilt Gravity ,like how it cooks,i am seriously thinking about grill grates on it as well

Comment

Originally posted by Alabama Smoke View Post
                Scott Wat I easily get my PBC to 475 and upwards and I expect you can too. I did not notice what charcoal you are using but Kingsford Professional briquets burn hotter than the original, plus both rebars out plus cracking the lid about a quarter inch will do it for me and I expect it will for you as well. I do not adjust my intake. I leave it at one quarter open as I am at approx. 670' above sea level. Try that...I expect you will have no trouble. Let us know how that works out for you!
                Thanks for the tips Alabama! I will give that a shot next time, yes I was using the regular Kinsford.

Comment

If you guys want to sear, do you use the ridged side, or the flat side, in order to get max Maillard ? ?

I've been using the flat side based on editorial comment posted by the admin review here.

note: I’m using a Traeger so I need a little extra help with the sear.
                  Last edited by zzdocxx; August 3, 2020, 11:10 PM.

Comment

• BFlynn
                    BFlynn commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I have grillgrates on my gasser and use the flat side

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here