Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting More Bark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting More Bark

Hey all. I did pork shoulder on my still pretty new PBC tonight for the second time. It turned out pretty alright, but I want more bark. I had the shoulder on there for about 3.5 hours and then wrapped it when it hit 160. It only took another hour for it to get to 205.

I'm thinking that I just need to put more time into it and not wrap in the future. Any advice? Thanks!

Don't wrap at all. Running 275-ish I wanna say 6-8 hours was the norm.

Comment

• Greygoose
      Greygoose commented
      Editing a comment
      This ^

Wrapping does or can stop the bark formation, so your plan of not wrapping will help for the next cook. Also, what kind of rub did you use? That can help as well, from my experience.

Comment

• vibemore
      vibemore commented
      Editing a comment
      I made Meathead's Mephis Dust and that's what I used.

It's as simple as don't wrap until the bark is where you want it, regardless of what cooker you are using. In a PBC, you probably don't need to wrap at all.

Comment

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      +1

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      +2

I also cut butts in half. Double the surface area for more bark! WOOF, WOOF!

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep!! Cut in half. And no wrapping.

• BFlynn
      BFlynn commented
      Editing a comment
      I do that too. Cut in half = more bark.

What they said. PBC makes great pork butts. Run at 275ish. And no wrapping.

No faux cambro either.

Kathryn

Comment

Thanks, everybody!

Comment

• Scott Wat
        Scott Wat commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the tips everyone! I won't wrap the next one.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here