Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bone Broth 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bone Broth 2.0

FYI - This post is for those whom like to find ways to kick up your everyday recipes AND hate wasting food.

Sure you can buy a carton of chicken/beef broth to use for cooking from the store. Why not kick it up a few notches and fully use food you've spent your money on while making it better?

Over the last year, after every PBC cook using various wood for smoke, I save a bag of the leftover chicken/pork bones and a bag of beef bones and leave it out in the freezer until full. Then the next time we go through the fridge and start clearing out veggies that are on there last legs (carrots, half used onion that started to sprout, celery that's a little brown on the edges, etc).

Chop it up. Throw into the Instapot Pressure Cooker. Maybe grab a few herbs from the yard like rosemary, oregano...throw the bones in, fill with water until covered/max line. Let it rip.

BOOSH! An hour or so later, pour the broth through a mesh strainer/colander into a bowl and you have a slightly smokey broth that adds another dimension to soups, sauces, etc.

Now, here's how it can get a whole lot better...

The next time you go to make broth, defrost your already made bone broth and use it in place of the water to make — a broth that puts the broth in brothel.

Well, maybe that's not a good choice of words and does make for a bad visual.

It's damn good.

I always save bones and trimmings to make stock (I also save fat trimmings for making sausage or hamburger meat). I usually roast the bones in the oven until golden brown first. When I buy a quarter of beef from my friend he offers to give me the bones too - I always take them. I store the stock in plastic containers in the freezer until needed. Really kicks up soups and gumbos among other things; I think it is better than store bought.

Comment

Good minds think alike. This is what I do all the time. I freeze homemade broth and store it in 1 qt containers. Today I am starting to prepare chicken enchiladas for our Monday dinner. I buy a rotisserie chicken, pull off the meat for the enchiladas and then make a stock for the enchilada sauce: left over skin, bones, drippings from the rotisserie container, celery, garlic, onion, parsley, carrots, bay leafs, pepper corns, some water and 1 qt homemade brown chicken stock. Pull off the stock I need for the sauce and freeze 1 qt. stock. Viola - I start again next time I need a stock or broth.

Another thing I like to do is make a rich pork broth. When I smoke pork ribs - I buy spareribs and cut them down to St. Louis style. All the trimmings I roast for about 90 min. with celery, onion, garlic and carrots. Then add all the roasted meat and veggies to a pot with some water to make a brown pork broth. The meat is taken and reserved for salads, soups and stews. So good.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here