Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pit Barrel Fried Chicken Better Than KFC?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pit Barrel Fried Chicken Better Than KFC?!

Hey There!

I'm a new Pit Barrel Junior owner, and have been having tasty fun and quick success thanks to all of you who post and contribute on this site--what a gold mine y'all have here! I wanted to share my latest success: Ballistic BBQ's Pit Barrel Fried Chicken. I saw the recipe on a Facebook group, and thought I'd give it a try. First attempt and the results were tremendous, everyone at my house wants it on the permanent menu.

We have a lot of people together in the house, and even so, I opted for the PBJ thinking that I could still manage to cook enough meat if I utilize hanging most of the time. So far, I've been right. Last night it was 7.7 lbs of bone-in chicken thighs. I put them on 6 of the 15" Pit Barrel skewers. Used KBB briquettes, 20 in the chimney for 12-15 mins, then dumped into the basket with some reused charcoal and fresh birqs. I took the thighs to 150 degrees and then set a 5-min timer. Pg 402 of Kenji's Food Lab book says that at 150 degrees, bacteria is dead in 2.7 mins in chicken, so I doubled that for safety. It was OUTSTANDING.

Here's the recipe if you want to give it a try, I'll also post a pic of the finished product.

Attached Files

Nice looking chicken
    Iโ€™d be all over that and back for seconds
    As far as KFC, Iโ€™d rather eat something dead on the side of the road....
    Good job

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Nicely done, Lefty. Using the skewer was a coup, for sure! Welcome to The Pit - hope you convert that trial into a permanent membership cause I'd like to see more great photos of your cooks.

Comment

PS you killed it with the corn as well, and the beans, even though blurred in the foreground, are on point.

Comment

Dang. That chicken looks killer. ๐Ÿ‘Š๐Ÿ‘Š
        Oh and nice do. ๐Ÿ˜
        Heck I almost forgot to welcome you to the pit. ๐Ÿ‘

Comment

Good looking chicken!
          Welcome to to PBC club

Comment

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            PBC, pbc, ...

Looks great! Welcome!

Comment

KFC is a low bar, imho. But that looks like some killer chicken!

Comment

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              I was gonna say... that's like "I make a burger better than McDonalds."

• pjlstrat
              pjlstrat commented
              Editing a comment
              Amen

I gotta try this recipe. Guess that means I have to buy a PBC...

Comment

• grezs
              grezs commented
              Editing a comment
              There are worse fates.

Looks good. Welcome from Maryland

Comment

Welcome to the pit! Not to take anything away from your cook, because it looks amazing, but you would have to fubar that bird for it *not* to be better than KFC! Nice job!

Comment

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!
                Lookin forward to learnin along with, an from ya!

Yer yardbird looks right on point, an a nice intro, brother!
                Hope ya stick around, join up, an participate.

Got any good shots o them there beans? On accounta I'm purty bean dependant lol...

A receipt'd be even nicer, if yer willin to share yer bean secrets...

Comment

• Bkhuna
                  Bkhuna commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The bean scene from Blazing Saddles just ran through my mind.

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Runs through mine as well, perhaps summmat more frequently,
                  So Very Good to hear that yer mind is still manufacturing Virtual Methane, fer yer enjoyment
                  Bkhuna
                  Last edited by Mr. Bones; July 3, 2020, 06:48 AM.

That chicken looks delicious, Iโ€™m gonna need to try that!

Comment

Welcome to the pit. Good lookin chicken there

Going to try this, should work with kettle vortex combo
                  Last edited by klflowers; June 28, 2020, 05:21 PM. Reason: Watched video

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                    Mr. Bones commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Now we're talkin, Brother!
                    Thanks fer plantin th seed of Inspiration...

Looks great! Was the chicken crispy?

Kathryn

Comment

• lefty_burns
                    lefty_burns commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hey fzxdoc, it sure was! I pulled it at 150-155 degrees, but it could have taken even more heat to darken/crisp up the skin. In the video he takes it to 175 on the grate. I went heavier on the breading that I needed to IMO, but it was nice and crisp. We all got full too quickly, I could eat that crispy yard bird all day!

This recipe is easy-peasy to nail on the first attempt, and the fattiness of the thighs means there's a WIDE range of temps it would be juicy and delicious within. Cheers!

• fzxdoc
                    fzxdoc commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks for the additional info, lefty_burns . That chicken is on my To Make list now, thanks to you.

Kathryn

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here