Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fan and temp controller for PBC feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fan and temp controller for PBC feedback

Wondering if many folks are using a controller with a PBC? My temps jump around alot and my MCS is raging.

Welcome to the Pit Burntfood. I see this is your first post. I have had a PBC for 3 or 4 years and do not use one, but there are quite a few who do. They will be along soon. Glad to have you with us. Tom

Comment

At this point I've only used my Fireboard to monitor temps. Pbc seems to rock pretty steady once it's going.
      ​​​

Pbc is sort of default set to run about 270ish.
      You can lower the temps by using less charcoal both in the basket and in the chimney starter.
      ​​​​​​
      I don't think you NEED a controller to make tasty food.
      ​​​​​
      Having said that, MCS is a real affliction AND I got a pit viper fan in the mail today.

Comment

Start it up, load it up, grab a beer and put ur nose to the air and have another beer and just keep smellin’ the deliciousness
        temps are only so important,,,,ur nose knowz

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!
          I also do not use one. "My temps jump around alot" when you say alot, how much is alot? What are you using to track temps?
          There is some really good information in the channels section. Most importantly is the how to start your PBC section. If you're consistant with the lighting you will get consistant results. Most let the PBC run as it was ment to. Usually in the 270* range. For poltrey removing a rebar will get you up into the 340* or higher range.

Comment

Is your PBC new? New PBCs tend to run hot until the lid gets gunked up. You can hasten this by spraying a cooking spray like PAM around the lip of the lid, be careful though, I've heard that if you get too much on it can drip and mark your patio, thereby making SWMBO angry. :-)

I've owned a PBC for going on 4 years now and the only times my temps jump around is when I'm too nosey and take the lid off too often, or if it is a really windy day and I don't turn the bottom vent away from the wind.

Comment

This is year 2 with it. I lite 40 coals and then do the 10 min lid off and then 10 min lid on. Once I couldn’t get it below 400. Last week I had trouble getting over 200 for the first hour and a half.

i love it and will keep learning. Just want to play with a controller and a fan!

Comment

• BFlynn
              BFlynn commented
              Editing a comment
              Someone had a digiq and pit viper fan for sale on the For Sale channel.

Fireboard / Pit Viper combo seems to be popular

I use a Signals and Billows combo, which work very well. Usually keeps temps within 10-12 degrees either way of 225. I did 2 pork butts (18lbs) last Thursday and never went back outside for 7 hrs till it was wrap time.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here