Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A good few days' work ahead of me...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A good few days' work ahead of me...

The ongoing shuttering of restaurants and the like in the UK means there are some good deals to be had on big chunks o' meat that don't have anywhere else to go.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20200622_140853.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	867518

Some of these are things that have been planned and prepped for a long time - for example, those five racks of salt-moss cave aged beef ribs up top:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200622_113422.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	867517

I think I'm going to start with that 12.7lb brisket tomorrow, then do the ribs the day after.

Top left are two racks of (frozen) short ribs, so I think I shall save those for another day.

The reason I'm posting is mostly to see if anyone has any PBC tips for racks of beef ribs that size! It's kind of hard to tell, but I think that most beef back rib cooks I've seen have been with shorter racks and want shorter cook times (2 1/2 ish hours) than my gut tells me these are going to need. They're between 2.5-3.5 lbs.

The official PBC site has these back rib instructions which look to be 7 ribs and a pretty similar cut - so I'll use that as a starting point, but go significantly dryer than they do, at least initially.

Any other thoughts very much appreciated...

Looks like a goods days works for any of us.
    Buy Aspirin and Tums for that meat hangover.

Comment

I've never seen them like that. I believe butchers cut them into 4 bone slabs. I've seen people here cut those into two bone slabs. I believe because they vary in size from one end to the other and cooking times will be different. Nice score!

Comment

• reallyalexsc
        reallyalexsc commented
        Editing a comment
        The short ribs (top left of the first pic) are in four-bone racks. I think they are basically the next four down from these 'full' racks - though that does leave 2 ribs unspoken for!

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm on my way!

The back ribs worked pretty well, and the brisket was certainly acceptable. The wind up here is still my nemesis, though...
      Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here