Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tomorrow's Cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tomorrow's Cook

First - installing a pit viper as soon as it gets here. Should be in the next hour or so.

Tomorrow's cook -
    Planned on doing 1 rack of baby backs and 1 rack of SLC same seasoning, same sauce, for side by side comparison. Wife insists she likes baby back better, but I don't think that's really true. So we'll see.

Also doing 2 racks of "get well" baby backs.
    My cousin's husband broke his arm and my father in law is still recovering from a surgery.

Figure I'll smoke those at 250. Also figure the SLC will need an extra 45 mins - 1 hr. So they'll go on first.

After all the ribs are done - get heat up to 350 and smoke 2 split chickens with mojo rub.

Ribs are dry brining now. May have to wait on the chicken and just season in the morning. Fridge space is a little tight

Details to follow......

I love doing the PBC combo cooks! Your upcoming cook is similar to my last weekend cook. I did 3 racks of baby backs, so I could use the half grate...that was filled with sausage, followed up with 2 split chickens. You're going to have a great time!

Comment

Yeah, should be good. And interested to see how the pit viper works. Hoping it can increase the temp from 250 - 350 on its own.

​​​​

Comment

I’ve run the PBC with fan for almost 24 hours with multiple cooks in sequence. "Chain smoking" I call it.

Comment

Fridge space.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1592698201041-960410129.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	866187

Comment

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            J man cookin for the neighborhood!

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            4 briskets and a pork butt for next Friday. Above that is about 10 pounds of deer sausage. That dude bottom right is a rump roast COATED in Tony Chachere's waiting for a sous vide bathe. HouseHomey

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            Ahhh... your briskets look smooshed so I couldn’t tell. I bet that SV roast beef will be fabulous!!! Is that an old stand by or new cook for you.

Interested in seeing how your cooks playout. I do BB and STL all the time. Costco 3 rack packs, 9 lb total weight. No fan, KBB, just let the PBC do its thing. Both are done around 3 hours. I did two massive spare rib racks last weekend, 10 lb total weight. That took almost 4 hours.
          Last edited by HawkerXP; June 20, 2020, 07:03 PM.

Comment

• cashelton
            cashelton commented
            Editing a comment
            Pbc...pbc..pbc!

• BFlynn
            BFlynn commented
            Editing a comment
            So far I've done BB and SLC and just let the PBC do its thing, mostly.

Ribs have come out pretty good!
            Also may cut the racks in half. What I've found is the ones on the bottom are a smidge over done and the ones at the top don't quite pull lean.
            Im striving for that perfect rack.

Trying for a little more control, but mostly to get the temps up for the chicken.

And I just like having a new toy. I mean, if I already got the Fireboard 2 drive..... Gotta get a fan..... Otherwise you wasted $$

Well best laid plans.....
          So the pit viper was supposed to be delivered hours ago, but isn't here and I'm not going to install it now, even on the slight chance it's gets here before the cook.

Just gonna ride dirty on this one.

I think with 1 chimney in the basket and 25 extra briquettes to light on a 10-5-10 schedule I can moslty maintain close to 250. Then I'll add half a chimney and crack the lid to see if I can get 350 for. The chicken

Comment

• Alabama Smoke
            Alabama Smoke commented
            Editing a comment
            Are you using the PBC Chimney or the much larger Weber chimney? I assume the PBC chimney...........am I correct?

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            Pull a rebar when adding chicken. That will help with get temp up.

I'm using the cheap $10 Walmart chimney.
          ​​​​​​
          I counted this morning. It holds 55 briquettes.

So I started today with 60 in the basket and 30 in the chimney. Pbc is running at 230.

Comment

• RobertC
            RobertC commented
            Editing a comment
            I marked my chimney with a line at 40 briquets (KBB briquets), so it's like a measuring cup. Each KBB briquet is 25g, so 40 is 1kg. 18 = 1 lb, so 55 is almost exactly 3 lbs.

Charcoal basket 60 briquettes with hickory chunks.
          ​​​​​​

Name:	20200621_085214.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	866634

Chimney with 30 briquettes

Name:	20200621_085305.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	866635

Ribs rubbed, hooked and ready to go

Name:	20200621_090301.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	866636

PBC running at 230

​ Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200621-103842_FireBoard.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	866637

Just figured out how to insert pics into a post.

Comment

Ribs have been on 2 hours.

Name:	20200621_113817.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	866659

Starting to get some bark Click image for larger version

Name:	20200621_113842.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	866660

Just beginning to pull back from the bone

Name:	20200621_113852.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	866661

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Editing a comment
              That's much better than cutting grass.

• BFlynn
              BFlynn commented
              Editing a comment
              Our yard is so small, you can cut the grass with a weed eater while the charcoal chimney is getting hot

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              My kind of lawn!

Final results Click image for larger version

Name:	20200621_125138.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	182.8 KB
ID:	866840
            Attached Files

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Editing a comment
              Somehow still better than cutting grass

Couldn't get the PBC up over 300 for very long. It settled in at 250 and did the chicken there til it hit IT of 145.
            Moved to oven on convection roast 350 deg to crisp skin. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200621_155658.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	866918
            ​​​​​​
            ​

Comment

Good looking Cook. Thx for sharing.

Comment

No problem. Happy to do it. I normally get good feed back and it helps me to write out what I'm doing.

Next time I really will cut the racks in half. Meant to but got rushed.
                The bottom rib on each rack got a little bit crunchy

But overall they were pretty delicious

Comment

• shify
                  shify commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I’ve started cutting my racks in half and it works much better. Before doing that, in order to keep the bottom out of the coal, I would hook 3-4 ribs down but then the ribs were folded over and impacted spacing and cooking. Since I haven’t cooked more than 3 full racks (6 half racks) at a time, haven’t had to worry about space and the cook has been much more consistent

• Soonerpop
                  Soonerpop commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I likewise cut the racks in half out of necessity with the PBJ. I also use the Costco baby backs ~9#. Works well, usually about three hours.

So which did your wife like better?

Soonerpop She SAID, she liked them "both about the same". But she ate more of the SLCs.

Lately, when I've ventured to the store, they seem to have one or the other in stock, and not usually both cuts. So for now, I'll probably just cook whatever the store has.

Personally, I've never met a rib I didn't like, but I like having the skirt on the back of the SLCs to cut off and have as a snack.

I was surprised that they both finished at the same time. I thought the SLCs would take longer than BBs.

Comment

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm a spares/SLC guy myself. But it seems like the only thing enough on sale for my wife is the backs. So backs it usually is. I adapt without too much pain!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here