Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Asparagus in the PBC?? Anybody tried it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Asparagus in the PBC?? Anybody tried it?

I am smoking some ribs right now, and figured I would take a shot at seasoning up some asparagus and putting them in the veggie baskets to smoke. Anybody tried it? How long to smoke on the PBC? 45 minutes to an hour or so? Thanks in advance!

Never tried it. I wouldn't think it would take that long.
    I'd check it at 20 mins and 30 mins.

Let us know how it turns out

Comment

Cook to tenderness. How tender, not sure, I hate that crap. That stuff is at the top of my list of, "I'll cook it but I ain't eating it."

Comment

Never smoked them but have grilled them many times. I used to grow them commercially a very long time ago.
        Asparagus tips can easily overcook and you don’t want that. So keep an eye on them. Maybe check on them 5 minutes into it and every 5 thereafter.
        Type and diameter are a factor. Green and slim will cook much faster than white, and of larger diameters. It’s a good idea to peel them first, regardless of them being green or white. Here is a quick video that shows how to prep them before cooking.
        www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfbjLp_vYYY
        Enjoy your cook and let us know how they turn out.
        Cheers,
        Ricardo

Comment

As mentioned, cook to tenderness. I'd put it on after ribs are done and tented. Asparagus cooks pretty quickly (10-15 min. on the grill) and the window between underdone and overdone is very small.

Comment

I don't have a PBC, but unless you have the thing set up at a really low temp, 45 minutes to an hour would be way to long. We have gotten a lot of asparagus from some friends this year, and once I did it on the grill she was happy to let me do it that way every other time. I have used my Weber gasser, and my Blaz'n Grid Iron pellet burner. Varied by putting it on the grates, indirect/moderate heat/and on the flat side of my Grill Grates. I turn them at about 5 minutes, then let them go another 5. Test for doneness. They really don't need much more than 10 minutes. I coat them with olive oil, garlic salt, and some tarragon and/or Simon & Garfunkel rub.

Comment

Thanks for the tips I will give it a shot and let everyone know how it turns out

Comment

I've smoked asparagus a few times, it's been hit or miss, gotta be careful you don't burn the tips but still gotta get enough to actually soften em up enough. Have no advice since I haven't figured it out 100% yet... if it was low temp I'd go 20 min and then wrap in foil or steam and hope the smoke sticks?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here