Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thermometer recommendations for the PBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thermometer recommendations for the PBC

I’ve got my new PBC on the way and hoping it’s here in time for cooking this weekend. I already own an instant read thermapen but I’m looking for recommendations on good thermometers for tracking internal smoker and meat temp given the small holes where the hanger bars go through. I know many on here say that you just let the PBC do its thing but given I’m new to cooking on charcoal and just learning the PBC I’d like the piece of mind that temps are where they should be while I’m learning. Thanks in advance and can’t wait to learn even more from the forum.

6/14 update: purchased Marverick XR-50. awaiting delivery.
    Last edited by Tman4024; June 16, 2020, 05:46 PM.

What's your price range? You can spend anywhere from $30 to the price you paid for the PBC. FWIW, in the PBC, just monitor for information only. You really should let the cooker do it's thing. Unless of course you are looking for higher temps in regards to chicken.

Comment

I've used a Maverick 732 for a long time.
      It's good for bbq temp and 1 peice of meat.

The probes are a little short for the PBc. I ended up putting the unit in an oven mit so it wouldn't get too hot on the barrel.

But it measures remotely and has alarms.

There are fancier ones, with more probes, internet connectivity, and alexa voice commands.....

​​​​​​
      I just got the new fireboard and like it. Glad I started with the maverick, it's served me well for 6+ years, kept going even when I melted it a little. Not bad for $50.

​​​​​​

Comment

I’ve been happy with my ThermoWorks Smoke.

Comment

• Frenchy19
          Frenchy19 commented
          Editing a comment
          Right on! You can get one with 2 or 4 probes.

I’ve been using the Therma Pro with pretty good results. Easy to use, easy to clean. The base has a good range so I can go in the house and not worry about losing signal.

ThermoPro TP08S Wireless Digital Meat Thermometer for Grilling Smoker BBQ Grill Oven Thermometer with Dual Probe Kitchen Cooking Food Thermometer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014DAVHSQ..._8Gb6Eb3524SVK

Comment

Originally posted by MrMisunderstood View Post
          What's your price range? You can spend anywhere from $30 to the price you paid for the PBC. FWIW, in the PBC, just monitor for information only. You really should let the cooker do it's thing. Unless of course you are looking for higher temps in regards to chicken.
          I would like to keep it under $100

Comment

• BFlynn
            BFlynn commented
            Editing a comment
            Maverick XR 50 is a good buy for under $100

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

I know you are new to cooking on charcoal, but I would suggest giving it a few cooks without a thermometer. If you have one, you will be looking at it often to "make sure it's going OK". You will wanting to do that anyway, but just trust the device and follow the instructions and you'll have awesome food. I would suggest a chimney started if you don't have one as it make lighting it easier. If you know it's started well, you will know it's going to work.

Comment

• HawkerXP
              HawkerXP commented
              Editing a comment
              Believe it!

All things being equal, I'd get one that had 3' probes, over shorter ones
            Last edited by BFlynn; June 15, 2020, 10:46 PM.

Comment

• Frenchy19
              Frenchy19 commented
              Editing a comment
              A 3 foot probe may be a bit overkill...;-)

I’ve had two from Tappecue over the years.

Thermometer and two probes run about $150. It will handle up to eight probes.

Wifi, and can also control a fan (if you ever get to that point, but the PBC doesn’t need a fan...let it do it’s thing).

Fantastic customer service also. You can talk to actual people who are actually part of the business if you ever need to.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! I like my Thermoworks DOT and ChefAlarm.

Comment

• HawkerXP
                HawkerXP commented
                Editing a comment
                Pbc, pbc, pbc!

I've used the Thermoworks Smoke with terrific results for quite some time. They are accurate, durable, and somehow seem to never need battery changes no matter how often I use them. Customer service is old school excellent. That said, heed what Runaround said. In my experience it is often counterproductive to manipulate the PBC to control temps. If left alone they usually settle in to their sweet spot, which is between 270-290.

Comment

I would go with the Maverick XR 50 purchased from SnSGrills.com . The owner, Dave Parrish was the first Pit Boss here (and still a member). His company sells quality products. The XR-50 sells for $80 or so. Here's the link:

https://snsgrills.com/collections/th...products/xr-50

Kathryn

Comment

I have a Thermoworks Smoke, which is $99 normally, but can be seen on sale for 10% to 20% off different times of year. If I had to buy one today, I would follow with Kathryn's advice above, and get a Maverick XR-50, as it has 4 probes - you may not need all of them now, but you might at some point - the probes are water proof - and it has better range than my Smoke. And it is $20 cheaper than the Smoke, at $79.99.

Jim

Comment

If you are wanting something that has the ability to track up to 6 temps or think that you would ever need the use of a fan I would recommend the Fireboard. The second generations are out now but the old ones are selling for a savings. If you don't think you would ever need to use a fan then I agree with the XR-50 recommendations above.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here