Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Santa Maria on the PBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Santa Maria on the PBC

Came across this picture in one of the FB PBC groups and am intrigued. I've asked the poster if this is a Gabby's Grills model and how they get the charcoal basket that high.

That does spark my curiosity. I have added more tiers to bring the basket higher or the grate lower. Would be cool if it fit both the PBC and the 22" kettle.

Comment

May be fhat the PBC can be a worth while cooker after all. Sure isn't as designed. Just a barrel with no heat controls.

Comment

• pkadare
        pkadare commented
        Editing a comment
        Ok, enough is enough. I've just noticed that your new pastime seems to be knocking the PBC, basically insulting those of us who love ours. I have far more respect for members like fzxdoc, HawkerXP, etc. than I ever will for you. I've flagged all of your recent posts on the topic of PBC. Guess you never learned the lesson that if you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything. That is especially important in this community in order to keep up its high standards.

• pkadare
        pkadare commented
        Editing a comment
        Who am I to block you? Not really sure how that is really any of your concern. The option exists in this software, completely my choice as to whether or not I'm going to avail myself of that option. I'm done with this, and you.

• mountainsmoker
        mountainsmoker commented
        Editing a comment
        pkadare since you changed your posts I deleted mine. Yes I had a PBC and know how one cooks. I will say nothing more.
        Last edited by mountainsmoker; June 15, 2020, 05:32 AM.

Heard back from the member. This is the Gabby's Grill Santa Maria and in this case, he has just set the charcoal basket on the grate. He said that in the past he has also hung it from the rebars. Brilliant.

Comment

So, pardon my ignorance -
        what's the upside of the Santa Maria set up?
        Is it anything different than just grilling close to hot charcoal?
        Seems like it's just high heat grilling. But I feel like I'm missing something.

Comment

• pkadare
          pkadare commented
          Editing a comment
          A Santa Maria grill allows you to crank the grate up and down in order to have fairly precise control over the temperature. They are really designed to be used over a live wood fire, though using them over charcoal with wood chunks works as well. Just another tool in one's cooking toolbox.

• BFlynn
          BFlynn commented
          Editing a comment
          That's cool. Thanks for letting me know.

• pkadare
          pkadare commented
          Editing a comment
          And, at least on the left coast, they are traditionally what are used to cook tri-tip on. :-)

That Gabby Grill Santa Maria add-on looks like a lot of fun. I wonder if the setup is top-heavy with the barrel.

Kathryn

P.S. I'm guessing that's the 18 inch option. Gabby's sells them in 14, 18, 22 and 26" sizes.
        Last edited by fzxdoc; June 15, 2020, 06:25 AM.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          I guarantee you that is top heavy. I own a Gabby's Grill and the 22" model weighs about 40#. Unless that barrel has some sort of counterweight at the bottom I'd be nervous.

• JimLinebarger
          JimLinebarger commented
          Editing a comment
          fzxdoc So one size does not fit both PBC and my 22" kettle. Would have to get 2. But it would work with my Jumbo Joe. That would be funny looking tho! I have got to remember to try my Jumbo Joe lid on the PBC.

• N227GB
          N227GB commented
          Editing a comment
          Not using the stand and putting a couple of bricks wrapped in aluminum foil on the bottom should help to stabilize it.

For the price, I'd be more tempted to get the 22 inch model with the rotisserie and use it on my 22" Weber kettle.

Kathryn

Comment

I was looking today and might try to hang the charcoal basket from the rebar, and put a grate mount right above the rebar holes.....

Comment

WSM...wsm...wsm

Comment

• JimLinebarger
              JimLinebarger commented
              Editing a comment
              You spelled PBC wrong! lol My first smoker was a WSM (I think) but it was way before I actually had a clue what smoking was.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here