Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PBC tri tip, tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PBC tri tip, tips?

Parents are swinging through next week. Tri tip is one of my dad's favorite, but they just don't have those where he lives. It seems the be the only cut readily available at my HEB.

Plan is to marinade in a soy ginger marinade they like on tri tip.

Cook in the PBC to 110 and then sear in the gasser.

Any tri tip tips?

​​​​​Thinking about using the skewer hanger instead of hooks.

When the tri tip comes off, I'll probably throw some chicken halves on,

Marinade is from my god parents that used to live in California
    Tri-Tip Marinade (Original)

1/2 Cup Cabernet
    1/3 Cup Sugar
    1/4 Cup Soy Sauce
    2 Cloves Ginger (or 1/4 Teaspoon ground ginger)
    2 Cloves Garlic (or 1 Teaspoon minced)

Comment

I've never done them on my PBC. Hard to find around here. Let us know how it goes.

Comment

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        How long you leave it in the marinade?

• BFlynn
        BFlynn commented
        Editing a comment
        Not exaclty sure.
        I've never made this.

I figured 4-6 hrs?

I'm also thinking with such a short cook maybe only doing 1 unlit starter worth of charcoal and 1 lit starter on top.

Comment

In my experience, the PBC hooks work fine for tri-tips:

Click image for larger version

Name:	7A316F85-72A9-4AD3-AAE2-B8EEAD57EE89.jpeg
Views:	361
Size:	238.5 KB
ID:	862487

Name:	DCD4A594-E69C-43F8-B3AE-95AD9009E339.jpeg
Views:	363
Size:	218.0 KB
ID:	862488

I didn’t bother to sear this one.

Name:	9D1B6198-823A-4EB9-8CD3-C2C1BE4B4C8C.jpeg
Views:	373
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	862489

Comment

• BFlynn
          BFlynn commented
          Editing a comment
          That looks great!
          Did you marinade, or dry brine?
          Or just run it and throw it on?

• MBMorgan
          MBMorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          BFlynn - No marinade or even dry brine on this one. Just seasoned with onion salt, garlic salt, and dried basil.

Following, will be cooking my first one next weekend in my barrel...

Comment

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          …, …, …!

Tri Tips in the PBC are amazing. I always sear them off on my gasser.

Have a great cook, BFlynn . Let us know how it turns out.

Kathryn

Comment

On that marinade, since the soy sauce has a high salt content you could use it to brine the Tri-tip. I'd check the amount of salt in 1/4 cup of soy to make sure it isn't too much and consider a marinade (wet-brine) overnight. 1/2 tsp per lb of meat is the rule of thumb.

Comment

I’m going to have to try this on my PBC soon. This is the recipe I like:

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...-maria-tri-tip

Comment

I use hooks on tri-tip all the time. I bring it up to 128F, and usually don't bother searing.

I use a similar marinade but with a little less sugar, rice wine instead of cabernet, and add some heat from sambal oelek, or gochuchang.

Occasionally, if I think time will be short on the day of serving, instead of marinade I'll dry brine, then sous vide for 2 to 2-1/2 hours at 128F, then shock cool and hold in refrigerator for up to a day in advance. On the day of the smoke I'll dry it off, hang in the barrel to 120F, and sear for maillard. The grain in tri-tips changes direction at the V, so I cut in half there, then slice across the grain for the two halves.

Comment

I simply dry brine the tri-tip with some salt (agree you could use the soy sauce for a wet brine) then rub with either Meathead's Big Bad Beef Rub or Mrs. O'Leary's cow crust, I prefer the latter but both are very good and contain no salt. Hang the whole thing on one or two hooks...............enjoy

Comment

Read a few other sources that seem to think that marinading in wine for more than 6 hrs can make the meat mushy. No body likes mushy meat.
                  So I'm aiming for a 3-4 hr marinade......

All this is contingent on there actually being tri tip at the store in the morning. Meat counter has been weird lately.

Comment

my wife used to marinade tri tip with red wine, I never really liked it. I slow smoked one, seared, and board sauced.....not going back to wine.....I’ll drink the red wine with my reverse seared tri tip at a board meeting though!

Comment

I’ve done them both off hooks and on the grate. Amazing both times. Only added a small handful of oak chips each time and that was enough for good smoke flavor
                      Last edited by VideoWolf88; June 15, 2020, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Just did a tri. Dry brined, coated it with Cabernet, evoo & Memphis dust. Wife loved it, most important! Click image for larger version

Name:	0E223DC8-A512-43CF-A4F3-CAC0A31789D4.jpeg
Views:	317
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	863363

Comment

• BFlynn
                          BFlynn commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Looks solid

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here