Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Third Annual Father's Day Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Third Annual Father's Day Brisket

So I'll be smoking my third Annual Father's Day Brisket next Sunday and this year it's American Wagyu. Last year, my local butcher had a 15 lb prime brisket for $85 which is a pretty good price in my area. This year, with the meat shortages, they were selling CAB briskets for 8.99/lb (not a good price). I checked Restaurant Depot prices since I have a friend with a membership, and they had CABs for $6.99/lb (still a bad price). I then remembered seeing a post in the Pit about a discount at "A Bar N Ranch." I checked their prices and they were selling. A 13-15 lb American Wagyu for $130. After the discount and shipping, it was $142. It came a few days ago and weighed in at 13.8 lbs. So for $3 more/lb than restaurant Depot, and $1 more a pound than my local butcher, I got American Wagyu instead of CAB. Not a bad year to try a Wagyu Brisket!
    I'm wondering what everyone's experience has been with Wagyu as far as cooking times go. Last year, my 15lb prime was trimmed down to 13lbs and took 12 hours to probe tender at 196 degrees. I did an overnight cook starting at 1AM. After holding for 2.5 hours, I was slicing and serving at 3:30 PM. I've seen mixed reviews on cooking times for Wagyu. Some seem to cook obscenely fast, while others seem about the same as normal. Basically what I'm trying to figure out is if I should do an overnight start again or an early morning start. I'm hoping to serve around 3:30 again.

Thank you all as always!
    -Pete

All I have ever cooked is American Wagyu (12# to 17#) and they have taken fro 10 -16 hours to cook. I suggest sticking to the overnight cook to be safe. They hold well. Nice to avoid the "Is it ready yet.......how about now............how about now?"

Comment

• Alabama Smoke
      Alabama Smoke commented
      Editing a comment
      I have held briskets for over 4 hrs with no problem. I do add a quarter cup of beef broth when I double foil it, wrap in two beach towels and put into an ice chest that will barely hold all of that. Run a digital thermometer probe out under the lid and be sure to keep temp above 140*. Start early, it will rest well.

I’ve cooked an SRF one once and it took about the same amount of time as the Costco prime ones I normally cook.

Comment

Ive cooked 2 american wagyu briskets and both had a shorter stall and were ready and jigglin at a lower internal temp. Wouldnt say its a significantly shorter cook but id definitely start checking for doneness earlier than you usually would. But as many will point out...briskets all seem to have a mind of their own.

Comment

Nice score on finding that price! Keep us informed as to how it goes!

Comment

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          What are you going to cook it in?

• goosebr160
          goosebr160 commented
          Editing a comment
          Pbc!

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          I didn't want to presume. PBC, PBC, PBC!!

I would suggest cooking it at 250-275 and you will reduce the stall time as well as the cook time. I always push towards 275. The Waygu has so much intramuscular fat that you will never over cook it. Then start checking for when it is done for probe tender at 185. Each piece of Waygu is different but that is a good starting point for one cooked at 275. The one Waygu I did weighed 14.2lbs before trimming and 11.8 after so yours should weigh in the lower 11lb range after trimming.

Many above say PBC, I don't agree.you need a grill with even temps over the entire length of the brisket. Other wise parts will be over
        cooked and parts will be under cooked.

Again every brisket is different and may take different times every time you cook one. I have found that if I get one on at 6am I can usually eat at 8pm. for a trimmed 12lb one at 275.

Comment

• Red Man
          Red Man commented
          Editing a comment
          mountainsmoker The vertical temp gradient in my PBC is much more even than in my 22” kettle.

All prepped and ready to go on tomorrow night! Dry brined and David Parrish Not Just For Beef Rub. 11.3 lbs after trimming.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by goosebr160; June 19, 2020, 03:46 PM.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          What I also like is they are almost fully trimmed, makes it an even better value for the $$

• goosebr160
          goosebr160 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes Troutman, I noticed that too! Fat cap was mostly 1/4" already. I took out some of the big chunks of fat between the point and the flat but that's pretty much it. The only "issue" I noticed about it was that it didn't seem to be fully vacuum packed. The bag wasn't tight around the whole brisket like they usually are. It didn't have a hole in it though. Is yours like that too?

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          goosebr160 Yea mine was a bit loose as well. Just so it’s sealed don’t see any issue.

I bought that same brisket a week or so ago. Decided to wet age for about 30 days or so. Will probably break it out on July 4th weekend.

My experience is similar to some of the comments above. Cook about the same but race through the stall better and probe early. Had one done at 190*IT.

Good luck with yours, will be watching to see the results !!

Comment

So this brisket is almost done. About 2 hours faster than anticipated. Is it ok to hold in a faux cambro longer than 4 hours? It's about 5-6 hours before I'm planning to serve.

Comment

• Alabama Smoke
            Alabama Smoke commented
            Editing a comment
            It will be fine as long as you insulate well enough to keep internal temp above 140*..Put a digital thermometer probe into meat and run cable out to your thermometer. If you start to get into danger zone keep wrapped snuggly in foil but move to your oven at lowest temp possible. Probably somewhere between 150 and 170. If you insulate the meat well with towels after wrapping in foil you should be good for 4-5 hours in the cambro I would think, but monitor it.
            Last edited by Alabama Smoke; June 21, 2020, 08:38 AM.

Results are in, if you'd like to know how to ruin a $130 piece of meat, stay tuned! Just kidding, it wasn't that bad. I did overcook the flat though. Most of the flat was probe tender at the 10 hour mark, but I kept it on because there was a section of it that wasn't quite there yet. Ended up staying on for another hour before I finally pulled it, I think the rest of the flat overcooked as a result. It was not dry at all, I think because of the grade, but it was pulling apart way too easily. I couldn't do the old laying over a knife or finger test without it breaking. We are our own worst critics though right? Everyone loved it, and like I said, it was not dry at all. I served it with Aaron Franklin's simple Texas bbq sauce. I also separated the point and flat after the cook for the first time and made burnt ends with the point. They were absolutely amazing! All in all a successful cook!
          Attached Files

Comment

• tdimond
            tdimond commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks great!

I've had good luck with the hold fixing those stubborn spots, though I haven't been brave enough to try Wagyu yet.

• goosebr160
            goosebr160 commented
            Editing a comment
            tdimond live and learn! Next time I will do the same.

Looks perfect from here...............I will send you my address..

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here