Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Cook on the PBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Cook on the PBC

Chimney started for the first cook on my be PBC. Crazy as it may sound on this website, this will be my first charcoal fire since I was a teenager. Used gas, wood and pellets but no charcoal.
    Attached Files

Treading into the unknown,,,,
    I like it,,,,more fun to be had and you have a PBC
    Enjoy !!!!

Comment

Ah..... Good for you. You’ll enjoy it. Something about hanging seasoned/marinated meat over a fire. Brings out the ancestral beast in us.

Comment

Welcome to the club..... What you gonna cook?

Comment

• DavidEmpey
          DavidEmpey commented
          Editing a comment
          St. Louis style ribs, coming up on 3 hours

Should be getting close.....

Comment

So? How they come out? pbc, pbc, pbc,......!

Comment

They were pretty darn good, I get the whole PBC thing! Great flavour, very juicy, just terrific. Might try chicken on Tuesday.

temperature was a little lower after about 2.5 hours, had to crack the lid a bit to get it over 225 to get them done. I’ve heard the PBC runs hot, and was kinda count on it today.

Comment

How hot it runs is partially dependent on how well you get the charcoal lit.

Did you read the lighting sticky?

Comment

• DavidEmpey
                DavidEmpey commented
                Editing a comment
                Going to take a look the lighting sticky, thanks!

• pkadare
                pkadare commented
                Editing a comment
                DavidEmpey - 15-10-10 is almost as awesome as the Golden Ratio. fzxdoc is a genius for coming up with this method.

How did you start it? How many racks? Temp should shoot up over 300 once you put lid on then settle in to the 270 range. How long for total cook? Like BFlynn said usually getting close to done around 3 hours. sorry for the 20 questions. First few cooks on PBC usually run HOT until you build up some gunk. Glad to hear you enjoyed.

Comment

• DavidEmpey
                DavidEmpey commented
                Editing a comment
                Ran about 4hours, lit using the minion method. Just 2 racks. I see a few coals didn't burn all the way, I may not have had it lit as well as I thought.

• pkadare
                pkadare commented
                Editing a comment
                And to amplify what HawkerXP said, to help gunk up your lid, spray a bunch of PAM around the inside of the lip for your first few cooks. That helps a lot. Just be careful as the PAM can drip. Also if you've got some bricks or heavy stones, wrap them in tinfoil or crappy old towels and put them on the lid when cooking. Helps a lot until you get it gunked up enough.

Nice job, welcome back to th world of charcoal cookin, Brother!

Comment

Sorry you fell into the advertising and misadvice that people give on the PBC. Sure it is a simple smoker that at $350 does one thing and even then not well. It offers you the choice of hanging your meat by hooks which means the lower part gets over cooked or a small 18 inch grate nearly 20 inches above the coals and barely able to handle a full size brisket or rack of ribs. For over $360 it should be able to do more than that.

I can do more on a $165 Weber kettle than any one can do on a PCB. Also if you read the FAQ's they only predict a life span of 3-5 years depending how you take care of it.
                Last edited by mountainsmoker; June 15, 2020, 03:45 AM.

Comment

• mountainsmoker
                  mountainsmoker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No members were mentioned.

• BFlynn
                  BFlynn commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think the lifespan is really longer than that. I know Jerod used this one pretty heavily, and as the second owner, it still has quite a bit of life left.
                  Needs a paint job, but that's about it.

PBC isn't for everybody. I don't know that I like it any more than my dad's WSM, but Ive been able to cook with similar results on both.

Weber kettle is a super versatile cooker too, it seems. Figure that's why so many people here have one.

• Potkettleblack
                  Potkettleblack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'd revise pkadare's comment to say that there are ways to express one's opinion that don't involve "my opinion is the only valid opinion" type of language that is intentionally cruel. And yes, complaining about a cooker that someone just bought and did their first cook (and seems to have enjoyed the results) is shady and cruel.

This has been a running theme in your posts. I'm not an admin here, but seriously... you can't find something better to do than crapping on cookers?

I've made many a great meal on the PBC, and its portability is wonderful. Love to take it camping. Congrats on your purchase and pay no mind to the naysayers, lots of cookers out there and not all of 'em trip every person's trigger.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                  Potkettleblack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The rule on another forum, used for the other half of Meathead's "No Rules in the..." rule, is that you shouldn't yuck another's yum.

I second Huskee on portability - it's a blast to load the PBC in the truck and take it camping or to someone's house. I hope you do that chicken because it's true that the PBC is a chicken cooking machine. Someone mentioned consulting the lighting sticky from the PBC thread and I second that notion as well. Welcome to the fam!

Comment

• DavidEmpey
                  DavidEmpey commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Portability was one of the reasons I bought it, for sure. Only cooker I have that is portable.

I love the look of a brand new PBC being taken out the first time down the BBQ road. It's a beautiful sight.

You're going to love the food cooked on your PBC. It's versatile, has room for lots of food, and turns out great meals. There's a special elegance in its simplicity. It's one heckuva cooker. You chose wisely, DavidEmpey . Have a lot of fun cooking on it.

Here's the link to the PBC lighting sticky topic that others have already referenced.

Kathryn

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                  Potkettleblack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  How long have you had your PBC? I think longer than 5 years...

• DavidEmpey
                  DavidEmpey commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I read the post on your lighting method, will follow to the letter next cook.

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  6 happy years, Potkettleblack. I got it for myself for a Mother's Day gift.

K.

Thanks for all the advice folks, going to get it going again this weekend.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here