Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PBC and the BBQ Guru Adapter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PBC and the BBQ Guru Adapter

I ordered one of these last year and forgot all about it until I received my FireBoard 2 Drive this week. I read somewhere that this was the right adaptor for the PBC and was wondering if any of you PBC owners have installed one of these, and if so, how you went about it.
    https://www.bbqguru.com/storenav?Cat...2&ProductId=17
    Thanks for any tips.
    Last edited by pkadare; June 13, 2020, 02:36 AM. Reason: Forgot the link.

Guess its a little early here this morning, but I can't decide what it is for. Is this a vent for the lid? I am stumped....

Comment

• pkadare
      pkadare commented
      Editing a comment
      An adaptor in order to use a Pit Viper fan.

Never mind, found a picture that answers my question. To be honest, I didn't even think of mounting it from the inside like this and couldn't figure out how I could relatively easily swap between the adaptor and the normal baffle if needed.

Comment

Glad you found that picture - I was picturing it mounting from the outside, but doing it the way you show it would make it easier to draw it down with a screw and force it to curve to fit the inside of the barrel.

The other nice thing is you ought to be able to pull the fan off and install the kill plug, and plug the rebar holes, and snuff the fire pretty quickly, if you have a shorter cook and want to kill the fire and save charcoal.

Comment

• pkadare
        pkadare commented
        Editing a comment
        And hopefully without the kill plug, it will draw the same as with the baffle. :-) Time will tell.

Thanks for posting that pic!
      I'm about to order and do the same.

Only used the Fireboard V2 on one cook but so far, it's great. Had it on for 15 hrs and it only used 26% of the battery.

Comment

When I ordered a DigiQ setup a couple of years ago, I selected the Weber adapter: https://www.bbqguru.com/storenav?Cat...=2&ProductId=6 Since then, I've switched to a Fireboard controller and fan with the original adapter. It's worked fine.

This adapter required me to drill a new hole in the PBC with a step drill bit. The original vent opening has been covered with tape that can handle heat. In case of a controller failure, I can cap the Weber adapter and go back to the standard vent.

I'm glad I switched from the DigiQ to the Fireboard. I really like the functionality compared to the DigiQ. The Fireboard 2 looks really nice, but I don't see any features that would justify the $$$ to upgrade.

Comment

• BFlynn
          BFlynn commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm liking the new Fireboard. Of course, I don't have the old one to compare it to.
          Having used it twice now, 30 hrs of use time took the battery to 50%.
          Im sure that will go down faster once I hook a fan to it.

I've seen that XL Dome Adapter installed both on the inside and the outside of the PBC.

I like the inside installation with only the one little bolt that holds the original vent cap. That way it's easy to go back and forth--run the PBC old school or slap the adapter on and run it with a fan. Just be sure you shape the adapter to a slight curve and slide it into the barrel seam.

I've been playing with it some with my Pit Viper and Fireboard. The key is to let it kick in before the fire gets too hot. So I modified my lighting method to 10-10 (or 15-10 for Kingsford Professional) and let the fan do the work of keeping the fire well lit. I've only used it for a couple of high temp poultry cooks.

The PBC, if well lit, can rock a temperature pretty solidly for hours, so a fan and controller are not strictly necessary. But the new setup is fun to play with.

P.S. BBQ Guru will send you installation instructions specific to the PBC. I followed their method. It might be on their site as well.

And here's a topic you may want to read: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...-barrel-cooker

Kathryn

Comment

• BFlynn
          BFlynn commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the link. Will probably have a few lighting questions for ya when I get that far.

• Burntfood
          Burntfood commented
          Editing a comment
          Can I ask what you mean by a 10-10 lighting method?

• BFlynn
          BFlynn commented
          Editing a comment
          The numbers refer to how long to let the charcoal burn for each step in lighting.
          In this case 10 minutes in the chimney, followed by dumping the chimney onto your unlit charcoal and leaving the lid off the PBC for 10 more minutes.
          15-10 would be to let the chimney burn for 15 minutes before dumping.

Question: are folks buying the Fireboard for temp control and the bbq guru fan as the blower? Why not get the BBQ Guru kit? I don’t want to have to drill into the PBC.

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
          Dadof3Illinois commented
          Editing a comment
          Doesn’t look like you need to drill any holes. I might be wrong but it looks like it just mounts in place of the air inlet cover but from the inside.

But is that the BBQ Guru blower and XL dome adapter coupled with the Fireboard?

Comment

BBQ Guru Pit Viper plugged into fireboard v1. I just found the drill bit that matched the stock damper’s hole. Then I poked a screwdriver through the bolt hole in the PBC with the adapter in place. The screwdriver scored a mark to drill the hole. Drilled it and with a little bending I used the stock bolt and nut to affix the dome adapter in place with no gaps. I might put felt gasket around the perimeter of the dome adapter in the future if I think it needs to be completely airtight.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by jhapka; September 29, 2020, 07:16 AM.

Comment

• jpsep
            jpsep commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks! Did you choose this setup bc the Fireboard is superior?

• jhapka
            jhapka commented
            Editing a comment
            jpsep I chose the Fireboard because of the app. I’m not sure if the DigiQ or any other fan controller is better in terms of temp control. I live 5 minutes from work so I can cook and monitor temps through the app from my office. I also like that it archives cooks and you can add notes and pictures.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200928_203355.jpg
Views:	886
Size:	220.0 KB
ID:	917627 I mounted mine from the outside. Found it easier than getting everything lined up from the inside.
          Drilling 4 holes for bolts is pretty quick.
          I also used a high temp sealer. It's adhesive enough you could probably get away without drilling the holes.
          Last edited by BFlynn; September 28, 2020, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Are any other parts needed besides the Fireboard 2 and a blower?

Comment

• jhapka
              jhapka commented
              Editing a comment
              XL dome adapter from bbq guru, if you buy the "Fireboard 2 Drive" model you don’t need the fan cable but if you buy a standard Fireboard 2 then also get the fan cable.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here