Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baseline Brisket on Friday -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baseline Brisket on Friday -

Getting ready for first brisket cook in the PBC.
    Im sure this barrel will be confused by the amateur attempt and only having 1 brisket in it.

But got some B&B charcoal and a 14 lb whole packer, choice.
    Technically, it's "wet aging" in the cryovac I guess.
    Triming the packer tomorrow.
    Going to dry brine til Friday morning {36 hrs ish}.
    Cover with BBBR
    And let it ride.

Going to try to keep things as simple as possible -

Let the PBC do its thing. So I'll monitor temps but won't try to control them.

Hang til 170 ish then move to the grate.
    If it's not at 203 when the charcoal dies out, finish in oven.

Take it it 203 ish then hold in cambro for 2 hrs.

Might do some burnt ends.....

Figure 8-10 hrs smoke time, and a couple hours to hold, so I'll wake up early and get the fire going about 4:30, brisket on at 5:00.

Not fooling with injecting of what to wrap with. If it hits a looonnnnggg stall, could use foil. But trying not to.

This may not be a perfect brisket, but I want a baseline of comparison going forward.

If I get a B+ result, I'll be pretty happy.

My only advice is don't set your mind on taking it to 203. You might find it done at 195-198, especially if you go unwrapped therefore a slower cook than wrapping. Hanging close to the coals and cooking longer/higher than needed could lead to a good bit of dry meat.

Comment

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee I'm hanging a brisket in the PBC this weekend too. The hanging close to the coals part of your post - how do you mitigate that in your PBC brisket cooks?

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      hoovarmin Well I've just dealt with it when hanging, but I personally prefer to use the grate. It was also suggested to rotate halfway through, or move to the grate once bark looks good. And as Noah from PBC said, 'who of us doesn't like a little extra well done bits if it means the rest is done perfectly?' (paraphrasing).

My last brisket was 8-8.5ish pounds, took 10 hours to cook using 160 pieces of KBB and the PBC standard lighting method.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      You counted 160 pieces? Wow, that's impressive !!!

• cashelton
      cashelton commented
      Editing a comment
      Everytime, It helps me get my game face on!

No barrel here, but I'll be tuned in to yer cook!
    Good Luck, brother!

Comment

I would definitely start with the point up and switch ends half way through so you don't have an overly overcooked end of brisket. Good luck.

Comment

Got to trimming today. May have gotten carried away. Trimmed 3 1/2 lbs off a 13 lb packer.

The fat between the point and flat was thick enough that I almost separated the two.

Left maybe 1/8th inch of fat cap in spots...... But took most of it off.....

Should have take a before pic. But here are the afters.

Would love to see some other trimmed briskets as examples.

Dry brining now until Friday am.
        Attached Files

Comment

I would not worry about it since your doing it on a PBC. You will get a good rub and smoke ring all the way around that beast. As far as the weight of the fat you removed, don't worry about it. I once removed 4 lbs from a 15 lb one and still had 1/4" layer on it.

You are going to have trouble cooking that boy by hanging since you separated the flat and the point like you did. Instead of hanging it, will it fit on the gril of the PBC

Hopefully someone with PBC serious experience will come along and give you more advice..

Comment

I would just add a third hook to the daisy chain, pushing it through the side that had the fat.

Comment

• hoovarmin
              hoovarmin commented
              Editing a comment
              I second the motion for a third hook. I think that will hold it just fine until it's wrapped.

My last few briskets on my PBC I just used the grate. I got tired of the flat scraping the coals when I hung it and trying to hook as low as possible. Maybe I just need smaller briskets! I would recommend fat side down though.

Comment

Point and flat are almost separated now it appears. Suggest you go ahead and separate the two and hang them side by side in the barrel assuming you can get them both in that way.....I think you can. Perhaps hang one on each of the rebars

Comment

• BFlynn
                BFlynn commented
                Editing a comment
                That might be the way to go.

Do most people not remove that fat between the point and flat?
                It was pretty thick to start with.

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                BFlynn I do, I remove most of it, stopping just short of separating them. I think it helps it cook a pinch faster since it thins it some. But this is for lying flat, not sure how that affects hanging.

BFlynn I am wondering just how much to remove also. I've cooked several brisket while leaving enough of the fat to keep the point and flat together in one piece. But I watched an Aaron Franklin video on trimming brisket and he emphasized the need to remove as much of that giant hunk of interior fat as possible. The brisket I have in the fridge isn't separated, but it's closer to what you are working with than I've ever gone before so I'm keenly interested in hearing how your experience goes tomorrow.

Comment

• BFlynn
                BFlynn commented
                Editing a comment
                Will keep you posted, regardless of outcome.

Considering laying to flat in the grate. OR using my fancy skewers to attach it back together

Last brisket I cooked I trimmed like that too - got most of the fat from what I like to call the elbow. It came out really well - I was able to get rub all down in the elbow. It was pretty fantastic.

Comment

Yes it is good to remove all of that fat as Franklin shows. It is nothing new top pit masters have been doing it for years and I took it up 10 or so years maybe 15 ago. It works very well on a grill or offset but I don't know about a PBC where you hang your meat as you don't have any thing holding the flat and point together. I might suggest tying them together but don't know if that would work. Some one mentioned adding a 3rd hanger That might also work. I would really suggest separate the point from the flat and cook them apart. The point always cooks faster and the flat always takes longer. This is do to the intramuscular fat in the point that is not in the flat.

Comment

• BFlynn
                  BFlynn commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Good thought. And I have a new fancy thermo meter so I can monitor each temp

Plus..... More bark.

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I really need to try one separated, an th idea of more surface area = more rub more smoke & more bark really appeals to me!

• mountainsmoker
                  mountainsmoker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  And Mr. Bones if you like burnt ends the point makes great ones if you separate it and chop it up with the extra bark and rub.

Ended up just separating the point from the flat. Hanging them individually. They probably would have hung together, but I figure I can take each one off when they're done.

Also, wife ordered me a new injector and a roll of pink butcher paper. {on the recommendation of one of my buddies that does a lot of briskets}

​​​​​​Didn't want to seem ungrateful so injected each half with 5 oz of low sodium broth.

Will at least wrap the flat.
                Wife exclusively eats the "lean" brisket when we go out, and doesnt care about bark. So in the bark/moisture trade off, moisture is more important for that half of the brisket. Otherwise I have to eat a whole brisket by myself.

Got the new Fireboard hooked up to the PBC.
                Trying to stay hands off and "let the PBC do its thing". Temps got to 400 when lighting but seem to have settled in around 275ish.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by BFlynn; June 12, 2020, 05:22 AM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Lookin good, amigo!
                  Looks like there's enough there to share with yer Missus

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sounds like your PBC is happy to have a brisket back in its innards. There are echoes of briskets past in that thing, I'm sure. )

Kathryn

• BFlynn
                  BFlynn commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm sure the PBC is confused by only having 1 brisket in it and wonders why it's been demoted to the minor leagues

For trimming future briskets (because there will be more!) you may want to watch Aaron Franklin teach Texas A&M students how it's done:

Kathryn

Comment

• hoovarmin
                  hoovarmin commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This video always reminds me the Frankenstein movie, lol.

• BFlynn
                  BFlynn commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks. I feel like I watched several videos but didn't see that one.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here