Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Corn in the PBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corn in the PBC

I'm about to try cooking corn on the cob in my PBC for the first time. I have one of those corn hangers. What is the best way to cook them - husks on or off? (The guy in the PBC video said to leave them in the husk, but I thought I would check with the collective wisdom of the Pit first.) Do you soak the corn if you leave in in the husk? Any other tips or suggestions? Thanks!

Didn't get any responses (probably shouldn't have waited till the last minute), so I decided to experiment. I've got 2 ears with husks in the PBC, and 2 without. I'll let you know which ones turn out better.

Comment

Well, the corn was good both ways. I used corn from the farm store at Fresno State university, just down the street from my house. They have a large agricultural program, and their sweet corn is fresh-picked and about the best you can get. In the picture below, the ears on the right had the husks left on and the ones on the left had the husks removed. The corn was a little more tender, and slightly juicier with the husks on, but there was no noticeable smoky flavor. It was delicious, but it may as well have been steamed or boiled. The ears without the husks had a noticeable smoky flavor, and were still juicy, although a bit shriveled on the exterior. We liked both, but our preference was the corn smoked without the husks on. I think it's just a matter of personal preference, though, whether you want the distinct smokiness or not.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200606_203435835.jpg
Views:	1806
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	858139

Comment

• Willard
        Willard commented
        Editing a comment
        Both are mouth watering. Maybe cooked slightly too long on the ones without the husk?

• andy.wpg
        andy.wpg commented
        Editing a comment
        Picked up the three types of hangers last fall. How long was the corn in the PBC?

Nice! Corn cooked over fire is so much better than soggy boiled corn.

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
        Dadof3Illinois commented
        Editing a comment
        As you know really good sweet corn doesn't even need cooked...just warm it up and add a little butter!!

Cool results. Not surprised by the in husk results, it matches what I have experienced when grilling. Did you pre-butter/oil and salt before cooking?

Comment

Thanks for that, I’ve got PBC coming, have to try corn once locally grown is available up here In August. I didn’t get the corn holder, maybe I’ll get it.

Comment

So tell us: How long and what temp?

Comment

I'm thinking about a future cook for corn, no husks, salted and bacon wrapped in the corn hanger. Best guess for time will be an hour or slightly less.

Comment

I didn't pre-butter, but I think I'll try that next time. They were in the smoker about 45 minutes, around 350 (I was smoking a chicken at the same time). Probably a bit too long for the ears without husks, although just about right for the ears with husks on

Comment

Leave them in the husk and soak for 30 minutes or so in water. Put them in the corn hangars for 45 minutes, and you will have the best corn you have ever had in your life! No butter or anything needed. Try it

Comment

Originally posted by King Crimson View Post
                  Leave them in the husk and soak for 30 minutes or so in water. Put them in the corn hangars for 45 minutes, and you will have the best corn you have ever had in your life! No butter or anything needed. Try it
                  Somebody needs an avatar:

Name:	40FBF295-A849-42F8-9461-8719B3A64470.jpeg
Views:	1672
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	859668

Comment

• hoovarmin
                    hoovarmin commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You are full of surprises MBMorgan

Thanks for the write up. I typically grill mine with the husks on. I usually peel back so there are only a couple layers left on. I do enjoy grilled corn, but I have been thinking about using the corn hanger as well. I'll be trying this soon for sure. Here's some corn I was playing with in my Grilla SB a couple weeks ago. I basically turned it into elote off the cob.

Name:	IMG_20200518_175753.jpg
Views:	1670
Size:	184.2 KB
ID:	859714

Name:	IMG_20200518_185200.jpg
Views:	1675
Size:	184.7 KB
ID:	859713

Name:	IMG_20200518_191235.jpg
Views:	1707
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	859712

Comment

The best corn is Sous vided and then grilled. Just saying.

Comment

• hogdog6
                      hogdog6 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I don't want to hijack this thread but I've wanted to SV corn. Potkettleblack what is your corn SV method.
                      Also that drilled corn looks GREAT guys.

• Potkettleblack
                      Potkettleblack commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Go 180 or 185 for half an hour. Salt and butter in the bag. If you were one of those chili, lime, tajin, or maybe tarragon people, that too would go in the bag. A bit less than you’d normally use.

No husk or string in the bag. Just the corn cob.

The butter gets between the kernels, some of the seasoning as well. Gives you all the benefit of boiling without diluting the flavor of the corn.

If your so inclined, you could then toss it on the grill to give it some char. Doesn’t really need it.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here