Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New PB Jr. Running Hot (?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New PB Jr. Running Hot (?)

Hey folks.....
    I have a new Pit Barrel Jr. My first cook was *OK*, though my ribs had a bit of an acrid smoke taste. For my second cook, I switched to @fzxdoc's 15-10-10 lighting method (actually, 20-10-10 worked better for me), which seemed to solve that issue.

My third cook was a brisket, and also the first time I used my new dual-probe digital thermometer. I put one probe in the meat and the other out in the barrel, and got steady temps in the 300s... up as high as 380°F. I was able to bring the temp down close to 300° by closing the vent a little and packing foil around the rebar holes, but it didn’t seem like it was burning right, so I just decided to "trust the barrel" as many people have said. The 5lb. brisket reached 160° in one hour. I left it on another hour and it got to 180°. I wrapped it then and let it cook for another couple hours until it measured 205°. Turned out tender and delicious... but the cooking times are nothing like those I’ve read about.

I cooked some brats and Italian sausages tonight and the cooker hovered around 325°F most of the time.

I am using Kingsford blue bag charcoal and threw in a few chunks (not chips) of hickory with the brisket and apple with the brats.

Why is my PB burning so much hotter that the ones I read about here? Should I be doing something different?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Rick_in_MN; June 5, 2020, 09:58 PM.

Is the lid sealing tightly?

That seems to be a common culprit. You might need to spray the lid with cooking spray to build up some gunk. Or use some lava lock.

Ive never broken in a new PBC, so maybe someone else can weigh in

Glad your brisket came out tasty though.

Comment

Load less charcoal if it is running hotter than what you want. Is it out in direct sunlight? That will amp it up some.

Also, I just read in another post you were spritzing every 30 minutes. THAT will keep pit temps hot since you are introducing fresh loads of Oxygen by removing the lid.

Comment

• pkadare
        pkadare commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup, and the PBC and PBCJ are both more than humid enough that spritzing is definitely not required.

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
      Load less charcoal if it is running hotter than what you want. Is it out in direct sunlight? That will amp it up some.

Also, I just read in another post you were spritzing every 30 minutes. THAT will keep pit temps hot since you are introducing fresh loads of Oxygen by removing the lid.
      Thanks, Jerod. Two good things to try. 👍🏻

Comment

I’ll chime in as a devoted member of the No Spritzing in the PB(x) club. There’s plenty of moisture in there already ...

Comment

I'll 3rd the no spritzing commentary. I don't have a PBC. I never spritz on my offset or kettle, and a PBC is even more moist than those cookers, and shouldn't need it. That plus introducing oxygen.

All that said - if your brisket was good - just learn the new *fast* cooking times for the various foods you cook and enjoy not having to wait 16 hours for the brisket like I do!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here