Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MCS for PBC Strikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MCS for PBC Strikes

Well I spent all last night listening to the Virtual Happy Hour. I've been watching the PBC for some time now and the MCS itch was scratching real hard last night. I had already planned to make ribs today in my Grilla Silverbac, but figured if ACE had one in stock, then it must be for a reason......and of course, they had one in stock. So I picked it up, along with the ash catcher. Through the ribs on with Heath Riles Honey Rub and Pecan Rub. Glazed the last 20 minutes with Blues Hog Original.
    Through a couple chunks of cherry in the pit and produced a pretty dang good rib.
    Now I'm off to peruse through the PBC forums here
    Thanks Spinaker

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200605_150818_1.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	857565
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200605_183456_1.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	204.5 KB
ID:	857566

Nice break in!

Comment

Wow!! Ribs was my first cook too. One bite and I was.......hooked.

Comment

• BigCountryQ
        BigCountryQ commented
        Editing a comment
        I see what you did there!

Great cook!

If the Ace Hardware that used to be a mile from my house still existed and carried the PBC, I would have had one a few years ago.

Comment

• BigCountryQ
        BigCountryQ commented
        Editing a comment
        I have 5 within a 20 minute drive. There has been no excuse up until this point!

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        BigCountryQ - Me, too! (5 within 20 minutes).

• BFlynn
        BFlynn commented
        Editing a comment
        Well it sounds like the two of you need to make hardware store trips.
        I bet ace has a sale on smokers for fathers day

Congrats on both th PBC, an them delicious ribs!
      Have Fun, an enjoy makin Great Foods!

Comment

Those ribs look awful.
        Best just to send them down to Houston and I'll. Take care of them for you.

Comment

They look mighty fine.

Comment

The Happy Hour cost me some money too. Mine’s ordered and on its way. Those ribs look fantastic.

Comment

• BigCountryQ
              BigCountryQ commented
              Editing a comment
              This will be my first cooker where I'm not going to pay attention to the cooker temp as best I can

• N227GB
              N227GB commented
              Editing a comment
              That's the right attitude, sir!

Great looking ribs. Welcome to the PBC Club!

Comment

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              Don’t you mean PBC Cult?

Heck yes! Ditch the ash catcher and just use a layer of double foil under the charcoal basket. Cleanup is much easier IMHO. I originally purchased the ash catcher and hated it.

Comment

• N227GB
              N227GB commented
              Editing a comment
              It can be a PITB when it comes detached while moving the whole assembly but I don't regret buying it.

• hogdog6
              hogdog6 commented
              Editing a comment
              I ordered the ash catcher the day it was available so years of use with KBB I felt like foil would have been better option. But now I only burn lump and due to the low ash the ash catcher works great.

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              I had exactly the same experience as you, ColonialDawg . I've used double layer heavy duty aluminum foil to line the bottom of the PBC barrel for years now, ever since I bought my first PBC. A few years back I got the ash catcher. It worked OK with ash but allowed the grease to run off it onto the barrel floor, often under the ash catcher as well. What a mess. I went back to my old standby double layer heavy duty aluminum foil.

Kathryn

I'm going to do a whole chicken today. I've seen some posts on it here already. Any reason the chicken is cut in two? Is it because it's hot and fast?

Comment

• N227GB
              N227GB commented
              Editing a comment
              The only whole bird I've done is turkey, but I'll probably spatchcock it in the future. I think the heat and smoke convection does better with more surface area.

• HawkerXP
              HawkerXP commented
              Editing a comment
              I leave it whole. Either way works great! PBC, PBC, ...

I like to cut the chickens in half because they hang well that way and cook properly.

Comment

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              I’ve stopped spatchcocking and just split myself as it works out easier to arrange the halves on the grill or smoker, and it’s easier to serve, as all I do is separate the leg and breast quarters after cooking.

Now that is what separates us from apes—we can rationalize!
            Yum, they look delicious!

Comment

• Scott Wat
              Scott Wat commented
              Editing a comment
              Lol

I’d eat’em !!!!

Comment

I hang halves in the PBC, each on a hook through the breast just below the bone. This cooks more evenly than a whole chicken. I tried spatchcocking and hanging on two hooks, one under each breast bone, but find that to be more difficult in removing the dual hooks when I want to remove it from the rebar. The dark meat hangs closer to the fire but needs the extra 5 to 10 degrees of cooking anyway. It all comes off cooked well everytime that way for me. I pull when the thick of the breast reaches 160. Carryover takes it to 165-170 which is the way we like it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here