Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PBC and Lump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PBC and Lump

So, I watched the webinar on Drum Smokers last night (it was awesome), but Noah from PBC admitted being only uses lump in his PBC now, and the Kingsford advice was a marketing strategy (kind of thought so), so would the 15/10/10 light method still apply with lump?

huh. everyone has been saying to follow PBC and start with Kingsford.

Comment

Thanks to the moderators for setting up a really interesting Zoom happy hour. I am also curious to hear people's experiences about using lump in the PBC after last night. Interested in how lump changes the PBCs temps, cook duration and taste if anyone has done head to head comparisons.

Comment

My experience with lump is very limited and I have never tried it in the PBC. That being said, my unit tends to run hotter for low and slow than I prefer so I try to find good burning charcoal that burns cooler rather than hotter! I have alway read that lump burns hotter than briquettes so I have never been drawn to it. Hoping that folks with PBC and lump experience will comment on this particular issue.

Comment

I use lump all the time in my PBC, especially when cooking chicken, and use it the same way as briquettes. I don’t find that my food cooks any differently, but I don’t watch my temps so can’t tell you if it runs hotter with lump or not.

As for taste, IMHO lump has a cleaner burn than briquettes (if that makes any sense) so the charcoal flavor is not as intense, but that isn’t a PBC thing. I notice that on my Weber Kettle too.
          Last edited by ColonialDawg; June 5, 2020, 01:45 PM.

Comment

It was a really good webinar, I think they said they were going to archive it on here for everybody who missed it.

Comment

If someone gets the link please share!

Comment

I loved lump but then it seemed that BGE lump bags starting maybe about 5 years ago had too many small pieces, hard to get proper air flow. I appreciate briquettes now for the uniformity.

Comment

I like B&B lump, and on my Weber kettle, it out performs KBB in the Slow 'N Sear. I imagine on the PBC you just gotta learn how much to light in the chimney to start with, to get the same performance and temperatures you are expecting. I get about 7-8 hours burn time on a load of KBB and 10+ on a load of B&B lump.

Comment

• ColonialDawg
                    ColonialDawg commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I also also use B&B lump and agree with you 100%.

Originally posted by Alabama Smoke View Post
                  My experience with lump is very limited and I have never tried it in the PBC. That being said, my unit tends to run hotter for low and slow than I prefer so I try to find good burning charcoal that burns cooler rather than hotter! I have alway read that lump burns hotter than briquettes so I have never been drawn to it. Hoping that folks with PBC and lump experience will comment on this particular issue.
                  I don't have a PBC, so take this for what it's worth...
                  If you want lump that gives you great temp control, get Fogo Super Premium. Yes, it's more expensive per bag, but it burns super efficient so I'm convinced it doesn't cost more in the end. The huge chunks have lower surface area to mass ratio, so it's easy to control the burn rate.

Comment

Interesting. A while back I believe Noah was at a trade show in Vegas promoting another brand of charcoal. Nothing wrong with a marketing angle, and it makes sense to point new owners in the direction of a quality brand versus people going off on their own with cheap stuff from the dollar store.

I've been using Kingsford brands since I was a kid (very long time) . I've tried lump in my offset and in several of my WSJs over the years. Never really saw any benefit. Old dogs new tricks I guess.

I'm really looking forward to the video being posted for some more insight.

Comment

• Byrang
                      Byrang commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yeah, I noticed for awhile their videos started using B&B briquettes, no big deal either way, I just thought it was interesting that he personally uses lump and was saying it was the only way he personally cooks from now on.

I started out using Kingsford in my PBC, and have since switched to lump. More because of my wife and her taste than anything else. She says that the Kingsford gives it too much of an off flavor. I don't get it but not everyone tastes the same. I use Cowboy or Royal Oak just out of convenience.

I don't follow the first 15 minutes part of the lighting method. I just watch it and when it starts getting ashy all the way around is when I dump it in. However I still follow the 10/10 for the rest of the lighting.

Comment

• Byrang
                      Byrang commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks for the tip!

I take Noah talking about lump with a grain of salt. He was all in on briquettes. Then he wasn't happy with the company, and now he likes lump.
                    He also said he doesn't add chunks of wood, that you don't need to. You don't "need" to add wood to any charcoal or gas or any other type of
                    grill/smoker. The wood adds flavor, that is why you add it. Was he just promoting the PBC as something that cooks fine without it, maybe implying that wood won't make a difference? I can tell you that different woods do make a difference, so that is kind of a bogus comment.

Comment

• Byrang
                      Byrang commented
                      Editing a comment
                      yeah, but he did clarify, that if you're using it for competition, that you should add wood to the flavor profile. I usually throw a couple of chunks in there, be it apple, oak, cherry, etc..

I've been using lump for a while now and I do like the flavor better.
                    I've tried adding wood for the last few years on and off. I haven't noticed any flavor difference therefore no More added wood for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Byrang View Post
                      So, I watched the webinar on Drum Smokers last night (it was awesome), but Noah from PBC admitted being only uses lump in his PBC now, and the Kingsford advice was a marketing strategy (kind of thought so), so would the 15/10/10 light method still apply with lump?
                      I'd imagine the 15/10/10 would make the lump really hot. For smoking I just take some FOGO or RO Lump unlit and fill up the basket and place a fire starter somewhere in the pile and light it up and wait about 15 min and usually it catches and then I put the food on the hooks and start cooking.

For grilling I just follow the instructions from the website.

Hope that helps.

Comment

• Byrang
                        Byrang commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thank you for the advice, I'm going to give it a shot this weekend.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here