Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PBJ or PBC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PBJ or PBC?

Looking for some community advice here - I'm temporarily displaced from NYC and looking to pick up a Pit Barrel for the summer, ultimately to hand over to my father-in-law. The biggest meal that I think would every be cooked would be a thanksgiving turkey or a packer brisket - nothing crazy. It looks like the PBJ may be a fine size for me, but before I went and bought it wanted to ask the crowd for any watchouts or if there's a reason to shell out the extra 100 for the big guy? What do ya'll think ?

Take them at face value. The foremost difference is capacity.

Comment

The full-sized drum appears much more popular here but I think there are advantages to each and, for my situation, I'm pretty happy with my "junior-sized" 14" drum cooker. Here's a post with a couple of photos. I've cooked a 14-pound turkey in it -- I'm not sure I could've fit a 22-pounder, but then I don't need to cook 22-pound turkeys. If you're eventually going to give it to your father-in-law, how often will he need the larger capacity? Will he have to move the barrel by himself?

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...sized-14-drums
      Last edited by RobertC; June 5, 2020, 07:54 PM.

Comment

• Razor
        Razor commented
        Editing a comment
        Impressive.

I do chuckies instead of brisket these days but with a PBCjr you need to keep in mind the smaller diameter when choosing big cuts of meat. I was really proud of the big butt I found on sale at Winn Dixie a few years back until it was time to wrap and set on the grate.

Unless your FIL cooks for crowds or is the kind of outdoor cook that stocks up like crazy whenever charcoal is on sale, he'll probably not like the amount a full-size PBC eats up.

Comment

I vote PBJ. Just love the way the salty, creamy peanut butter dances deliciously on my palette as the sweet almost heavenly punch of the jelly maximizes the flavor experience.......

....what...what that's you say? Ooooohhh you mean the barrel cooker. Never mind, carry on .....

Comment

• N227GB
          N227GB commented
          Editing a comment
          I've been paleo for years so no PBJ sandwiches for me... Hey, maybe I can use PBJ as a rub binder on my next rib cook! :P

I've never wished any of my smokers were smaller... just saying!

Space wise, I cannot see the foot print for storing a 14" versus a 18" barrel making a huge difference. Where you will see a difference is in fitting that thanksgiving turkey into the barrel, or more than one butt, and so on. Personally, I would go with the standard size, but then again - I probably wouldn't as I do a lot of pulled pork, and even the full size PBC would be hard pressed to cook more than 2 butts at once. I'm looking now at cookers that will handle at least 8 boston butts at once, since that is my current capacity limit.

I also only thought there was a $50 difference - I guess the price change this past year left the PBJ alone, and only increased the PBC price.
        Last edited by jfmorris; June 5, 2020, 03:19 PM.

Comment

• Alabama Smoke
          Alabama Smoke commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree with jfmorris completely here. Yes it is $100 difference in price but the footprint difference is small. If the Jr. turns out to be too small, you will be displeased. PBC will definitely hold more food! Both are going to use a good bit of charcoal, but for smaller cooks, I just use less than a complete load. My experience on this is that while the charcoal is used up faster, the temp is not that different, even if using a half load. Disclosure: I have PBC but have not used JR.

I have been dissatisfied with smaller cookers, never with a larger one, to a reasonable point though. Some things I have found I want a grate for, then even the 18 inch one is small. 14 inches is very small if you have no other smoker.

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          That is why I think I would tend towards the WSM 22 or 18, to have 2 levels of grates. For butts, the PBC is pretty limited, and that is what I slow cook the most often.

I made the mistake when I first moved to the burbs by getting the 14inch WSM thinking I’m only cooking for 2 adults most of the time. I very quickly realized I made a mistake and it was too small. I’ve since moved up to the PBC and would definitely recommend getting the full size.

Comment

I have a 18.5” WSM and think that’s the perfect size. I once wanted a 22” and advised a friend to do so. Long story short after cooking on both we both think the 18.5” is the better of the two, especially here in western PA. The amount of charcoal the 22 uses in the winter is noticeable.

There are times I have to do a little work to get a big brisket in the 18.5” and I plan to do a turkey soon, practicing for Thanksgiving. I wouldn’t want to try that on a 14”.

Comment

I've got the PBJr. and I love it, that being said if I had to do it over I'd buy the big guy. Most of the time I'm just hanging stuff and it's plenty of capacity, but things get tight quick if you want to use the grate. I've gotten a 10 lb butt on the grate, but it was a tight fit. And if you want to use the hanging grate so you can hang something and have something on the grate?

Weeeelllll...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4945.JPG
Views:	425
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	857593

That's 1 rack of SLC spares, the rib tips, and a loaf pan of beans. Clearly wasn't going to get much more in there. 2 racks of spares is pushing it with the hanging grate.

So the Junior is a great cooker, but I'd get the PBC, especially if it's going to be your only cooker.

Comment

I like my PBC and have lots of fun with it, however the PBJ makes great food for several Pit Members. The PBC does eat charcoal as N227GB stated already and that fact alone could drive some FIL crazy.

Comment

I got a PBJ last fall. It cooks great food and is easy to move around the deck or yard. I usually cook for just two, so it’s fine. BUT... if you are trying to hang meat and cook veggies on the Half grate, you’re limited on the size pan you can use. The 14” grate also limits the size brisket or butt that will fit. The distance between rebar and fire means I cut rib racks in half. It does a great job and I recommend it, just know it’s more limiting.

Comment

Anyone know of discount codes for the Pit Barrel Cooker? I know they're out there! haha

Comment

I have a PBC and since 95% of the time I'm only cooking for two was going to get a PBJ to cut down on charcoal consumption and only use the big boy for large cooks. But then suddenly the PBJ wasn't available while some manufacturing issues were being worked out and now that it's back the MCS has subsided. Wait... is that even possible? Did I really say that?

Comment

It sounds like the PBJ will meet your needs.

I know Jerod had cooks on the PBC just stacking grates on top of briskets. I assume you could do the same in a PBJ on the occasional big cook.

Ive never cooked side dishes on a smoker.... Unless you count chicken as a side dish.

You'll be happy either way.
                      ​​​​​​
                      Get that barrel fired up. Can't wait to see your cooks.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here