Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoke probe location PBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoke probe location PBC

Hello fellow PBC lovers! I've been running a SMOKE for my temp watching and wass wondering if anyone has removed the "included" hardware for the bottle opener and used these as a spot for a probe, and if so what were your results?

Welcome to The Pit. Sorry, but I don't have a PBC. Someone will be along shortly to help though.

Comment

I think a lot of folks just run their probe wires through the rebar holes.

That's what I've done with my maverick so far, but always interested in other solutions

Comment

I currently snake the probe wires through the rebar holes.
        But when I upgrade to the Fireboard 2 (June 8) I think I'll use one of their hard mount ambient probes. Unless the collective wisdom of the Pit convinces me otherwise I intend to mount it on the lid.
        Attached Files

Comment

• mountainsmoker
          mountainsmoker commented
          Editing a comment
          You need to mount the probe at meat level.

• BFlynn
          BFlynn commented
          Editing a comment
          Thats my plan too

I used one of these. I put it opposite the big vent hole, with the slot above the grate, and the hole for the pit temp below the grate. Love it! I was always worried about the rebar damaging the probe wires.

Comment

Probe wires are run in through a rebar hole. Here’s a pic of how they are positioned for cooking (in this case, a duck):

Click image for larger version

Name:	E9F914FE-4FCA-4BC3-AC47-0A4FF3ABBBF1.jpeg
Views:	330
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	856213

Comment

• andy.wpg
            andy.wpg commented
            Editing a comment
            <sigh> I wish my wife would try duck. I love duck.

• Hexxxed Da Q
            Hexxxed Da Q commented
            Editing a comment
            Good looking bird there. I like the use of the grate probe hung from the hook never thought of that.

I run a meat temp probe through the rebar holes. I've gotten familiar with my pit to the point that I haven't monitored pit temp for years. I used to go crazy trying to control it. Now I'm much happier just letting it run.

Comment

• N227GB
            N227GB commented
            Editing a comment
            Agreed!

To position the rebars I use a pair of pliers and then wipe the gunk off right away. Super easy when probing meat.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here