Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seasoning cast iron on the PBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seasoning cast iron on the PBC

Anybody tried this? It occurred to me that I have a lot of burn time left after shorter cooks like ribs and chicken leg quarters, and that I could possibly hang several cast iron skillets and maybe crack the lid a little to get a higher run temp, and make some use of all that heat energy. Plus, this way I wouldn't be heating up the house in the warmer months of subtropical Wilmington, NC.

Is there any reason to think this wouldn't be a good idea? Anyone out there tried this successfully? Just curious.

My go to method. I always have some coal left and it keeps the seasoning smell out of the house.

Only issue is some pans are too long to hang or fit at all inside.

Comment

I have not thought of it, but I see no reason not to do so. I would mention that you do not want to pool oil, fat, etc inside the pan, skillet, etc. Wipe off excess oil and either hang by handle or place on grate upside down. Seems a great way to use up some otherwise lost energy as opposed to my method of doing this on my gas grill.

Comment

Heat is heat. With the proper seasoning agent (oil of choice) yeah, it’ll work. The only doubt I have in mind is can you acquire 400 to 500 degrees which is optimum in my mind. Then again 350 with a lot of time might do. Try it.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Three fitty works jus fine...

Mebbe higher is better, I dunno, but done em at three-fitty fer decades, an my pans ain't exploded, or nuthin.

Seasonin's jus fine on my Ma's Lodge, an Granny's Piqua Ware...as well as th other ~ 100 ~ish CI pieces I own...

BTW, generally have used either Bacon Grease, Lard, or Shortenin. Fer decades.
          Last edited by Mr. Bones; June 1, 2020, 09:09 PM.

• Alabama Smoke
          Alabama Smoke commented
          Editing a comment
          I did not know high temps were considered better until I joined this group. Still not convencenced it makes the seasoning better. I have put them in the oven in the house for years at around 200 and let them bake all afternoon. Worked like a champ. Used lard cause that is what mama did. I expect a lower temp works better if using an oil with a low burn point and that a higher flash point oil can handle the higher temps fine. Not an expert here, just my experiences.........
          Last edited by Alabama Smoke; June 2, 2020, 07:26 AM.

Do it alla th time, though I ain't got a PBC (Donations are Welcome )
        Works jus fine, an keeps from settin off th smoke alarms in th house, or heatin up th Kitchen

Comment

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback! I figured it would probably work, but for some reason was worried about the smoke... kind of dumb I guess, considering that cast iron was in use well before smokeless fuel sources Anyway, it's just good to hear my suspicions confirmed. I'm going to give this a try the next time I fire up the PBC... probably for a few pork loins later this week.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here