Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for Brisket Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for Brisket Advice

I’ll be cooking my first brisket tomorrow on my Pit Barrel Jr. (PBJ). It’ll be only my third cook on the PBJ.

I have a 5lb. choice brisket flat I got from the butcher at my local grocery store. It has about 1/4” of fat on the back side. I am dry brining the meat now.
    I plan to do a 20-10-10 start and will throw in some hickory chunks when I put the meat on.

I’m trying to plan my day...
    1. Can anyone advise me how long it might take to get some bark on the meat (5lbs) and get it to 160-180°?
    2. I plan to wrap it after that. How long would you guess it would take to get it from 160° to 200-ish?

Thanks for any input you have.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Rick_in_MN; May 30, 2020, 04:26 PM.

Depends what temp you are cooking at. Just cook it till you get the color bark you want then wrap. I would probably do 275-300 range for you. Figure maybe 6-7 hs total cook time. A good long hold in a beer cooler will help it a bunch.

Comment

I can't see how thick your brisket is but that is what will determine the cook time. The thicker the longer it will take. Generally a choice cut will take a little longer also.as it has less fat in it. Make sure you do a dry rub on it over night. Expect it to take at 275 8-10 hours +/-. Do not wrap until after the stall.

Comment

The PBC is so humid that the bark takes a while to really set. I rarely wrap in the PBC. I’d expect it to take about ten hours to cook.

Comment

I would say closer to 5-6 hours. I have found my briskets in a Yoder take roughly 1 to 1 1/2 hr per pound at 215F. A 9# brisket I just did took 10 hrs at 215F..

Comment

At 250°-275° my guess would be 5 hours or so to 160°, a bit longer to 170° where I like to wrap. A 1 to 2 hours more, wrapped, to probe tender. I don't know if the PBJ cooks differently, timewise, from the PBC though.

Check out this topic for cook times for the PBC. They may not exactly work for you, but they'll give you an idea.

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ts-if-possible

Kathryn

Comment

Originally posted by fzxdoc View Post
              At 250°-275° my guess would be 5 hours or so to 160°, a bit longer to 170° where I like to wrap. A 1 to 2 hours more, wrapped, to probe tender. I don't know if the PBJ cooks differently, timewise, from the PBC though.

Check out this topic for cook times for the PBC. They may not exactly work for you, but they'll give you an idea.

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ts-if-possible

Kathryn
              Thanks, Kathryn!

Wondering how you measure the temp in your PBC. I have a dual-probe digital temp gauge, but I’m not sure I’m trusting what the barrel probe is telling me. Can you enlighten me?

Comment

Rick_in_MN I hang two Fireboard ambient probes on opposite sides of the barrel, about an inch away from the barrel insides. They're at the mid-level of the hanging meat. They seldom agree with each other except for a longer cook when the readings seem finally to come together. Usually early on they can be as much as 40° or more apart so I just go with the average.

Kathryn

Comment

Thanks, Kathryn!

Comment

So how was it? I have a PBJ and will take any hints you can share.

Comment

Originally posted by Soonerpop View Post
                      So how was it? I have a PBJ and will take any hints you can share.
                      It actually turned out great, though I think my barrel is running way hot. (I posted on that here.) I dry-brined it for 24 hours with Bexten's Prime Rib and Steak Rub (delicious!), spritzed it with a 1:1 mix of beef broth and Worcestershire every 30 min. while it was hanging, and wrapped in foil with beef broth after it reached 180° (like in the recipe on the Pit Barrel Cooker website). Got a beautiful smoke ring and the family loved it.

Any other questions, just ask.

Comment

• pkadare
                        pkadare commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Your problem with it running hot was more than likely caused by opening the lid to spritz every 1/2 hour. Opening the lid on a PBC or PBCJ introduces a lot of oxygen which spikes the temp and then takes a while to settle back down. Both PB cookers are more than humid enough that spritzing isn't necessary.

• hoovarmin
                        hoovarmin commented
                        Editing a comment
                        What pkadare said.

I agree with pkadare and hoovarmin . When the lid is lifted the ambient temp initially drops and then begins to climb with the new infusion of oxygen, often.

Spritzing is really not necessary in the PBC. It's a very moist cooking environment due to its design. Plus with the meat hanging from hooks, it can wash off the rub early on. That said, your spritz was loaded with umami, so I bet that brisket tasted amazing!

Kathryn

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
                        Dadof3Illinois commented
                        Editing a comment
                        fzxdoc when you hang a brisket do you hang vertical with the point down or horizontal with the fat edge towards the charcoal? My last one I hung horizontal and left a lot of that fat on the edge towards the heat and it turned out pretty darn good!! The only downside to this is if you are wanting to cook other things....you might not have much room.

• fzxdoc
                        fzxdoc commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Dadof3Illinois I usually hang the packer point up. Only if it's too long for the PBC do I hook and hang the other end on the other rebar, and make sure, as you say, the fat side is down.

Kathryn

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here