Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good ribs, no smoke ring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good ribs, no smoke ring

So I cooked a rack of St Louis style ribs on my pit barrel and they turned out great. They cooked real steady for 6 hours at 225 and I used pecan wood for the smoke. For the rub I used Memphis dust. They were very good but there was no sign of a smoke ring. Any thoughts?

Did you put them in cold or closer to room temp? I don't use any wood and always get a mack daddy smoke ring using Kingsford, which is due to all the gases it produces that actually produce the smoke ring, which could technically be called a "gas ring."

Best has been with beef ribs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	beefrib1.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	85399
    Last edited by Jerod Broussard; May 26, 2015, 03:58 PM.

Comment

I smoke a ton of meat. Rarely do i have a smoke ring. but i always get really good flavor. and everyone likes it. Smoke ring is like a push up bra. it may look good but it isn't really any better.

Comment

mmmm push up bra.... anyway, I put the ribs on straight out of the refrigerator and I also use Kingsford Charcoal

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Tis odd to say the least. Have you done any without adding any wood?

No wood, just Kingsford competition briquettes

Comment

I'm not a PBCr yet, but on my WSM, I found that if I set up the fuel where I can have the vents more open and the temp stay where I want, I get a much better smoke ring, from having the cleaner fire.

I switched from Minion to Fuse, and only put less charcoal. I'm still fine tuning, and sometimes I need to add some more fuel toward the end of the cook.

I think I would need to do a side-by-side, one WSM on the Fuse, the other on the Minion, to see if the more choked down fire with more smoldering soot would turn our a less desirable taste?

Old Way

Name:	IMG_7806.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	196.3 KB
ID:	85474

New Way

Name:	IMG_2037.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	85473

Comment

In looking back, I notice a much harder time finding pictures of the rib slices in my old pictures...meaning even before I became more of a BBQ snob, I took pictures of what I found appealing, and the beautiful exterior of the ribs was always appealing. But the all gray slice profile of a sliced rib with a tiny touch of pink on the outside...not so appealing.

But when I listened to the smoke podcast, I noticed my vents were nearly allways 95-100% closed on the bottom after just a little while to keep temps to 225. When I changed that, I noticed I took way more slice pictures!

Before (minion)

Name:	IMG_9914.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	85477

After (fuse) (This pic is the thickest ring i could find, lol. Most aren't quite this good)

Name:	IMG_0064.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	174.6 KB
ID:	85478
          Attached Files
          Last edited by PaulstheRibList; May 27, 2015, 06:30 AM.

Comment

I have not tried the ribs without adding wood although when I do add wood it's just 2 - 3 small pieces. Could the lack of oxygen be affecting the smoke ring? I'm running the pit barrel at 225 and it's meant to run at 300. I haven't done a lot of ribs on the pit barrel so I don't have much to compare to.

Comment

Choking it down that much might could be the cause.

Comment

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I was having a similar problem and found a solution. Apologies if this is the wrong spot, but thought I would share in case it helps anyone with a the same problem

I was getting great cooks from my PBC, but could never get a smoke ring on any of my meats. I tried plain kingston, apple chips, apple chunks, cherry chips and cherry chunks. Smoke taste was there, but no ring. Sounds like such a minor problem, but it just doesn't feel like barbecue when your meat comes out a uniform grey! Then I read that hickory produces more smoke so I tried using that instead. And like magic I got a beautiful smoke ring. In my last few cooks I have used half hickory and half fruit woods to get the best of both worlds - nice fruit undertone on the smoke and nice bright pink ring. Good luck!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here